Wheel squeak

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Kit Bones
80-90 Mem No: 0

Wheel squeak

Post by Kit Bones »

I have an intermittent rotational squeak (45-70mph) coming from my offside front wheel. It stops briefly if I touch the brakes VERY lightly but then returns. It only seems to do it after I've done a few miles on the motorway. It appeared to start just after I had the brakes serviced. I think they skimmed them rather than replaced them. The brakes also squeal lightly when braking but when I took it back the guy that did it he said that would stop - that was nearly a year ago now. I'd like to try and fix it myself - any ideas on what might be the cause much appreciated. Thanks.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Wheel squeak

Post by kevtherev »

The squeal is caused by the resonance between the pad surface and the disc, much like a bow causing the strings on a violin to resonate. There are various ways to isolate or dampen this acoustic coupling. Be sure when you rebuild the brakes to use fresh hardware and appropriate lubricants on the sliding pins and keyways. There are any number of tiger-milk sprays, lotions and creams you can use on the back of the pads where they contact the pistons. I've used copperslip and Hi melting point grease on mine.

I would suggest they have changed the pads ,,and fitted cheap ones, as they squeal like stuck pigs
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Kit Bones
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Wheel squeak

Post by Kit Bones »

Cheers Kev