What do you pack where?

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

steve_pr

What do you pack where?

Post by steve_pr »

Just bought a 1990 Westfalia California (1.6TD) with proline top (kind of streamlined hi-top!). Absolutely loving it! Perfect for the two of us and the dog (4 month old Old English Sheepdog who thinks it is a big mobile kennel and sits happily in the middle of the floor (restrained of course!)). For the age, the quality of the interior fittings is amazing.

Had a "shakedown" weekend just to see what would go wrong - and apart from the starter battery dying on me before we even left the drive (fortunately Halfords is just down the road!)) it all worked like a dream. Looking forward to a long hot summer!

However, would be interested to know how other people pack! What do you put where? I realise that this is probably very personal, but some advice from "old hands" would be great.
Cupboard and drawer below sink.
Cupboard to left of fridge
Two shallow cupboards over water tank
Wardrobe
Over bed cupboard
Back cupboard (that already has the mechanical and mucky bots in!)
Then we have the top bunk area and an over cab area.

Suggestions welcome for what has proven over time to work best!

Thanks in advance
:?

pirate-pete
80-90 Mem No: 7945

Re: What do you pack where?

Post by pirate-pete »

This is what mine usually has for going away most weekends with me, the wife and a two year old.

Cupboard and drawer below sink. - food in cupboard, cutlery in drawer
Cupboard to left of fridge. - chemicals for bog, washing powder tablets, bogroll, small campinggaz can for lantern
Two shallow cupboards over water tank - books magazines maps, haynes manual in the back one and pots, pans , plates etc in other
Wardrobe - kids toys, like scooter, paddling pool, bucket & spade etc. Sometimes fleeces & raincoats hanging from rail
Over bed cupboard - shower and washing kit, towels, nappies for bairn etc in one side, walking shoes, flipflops etc in other
Back cupboard - fresh water container for when not using onboard tank, water hose, spare fuel can, bike helmets, washing line, fan heater in the colder months,
Front overcab locker (in high top) - curtains for front and slider, paper towells, torches, plastic glasses, high-vis vests, first aid kit, picnic rug, small odds & ends
Top bunk area - bedding, thermal screens, sometimes raincover for pushchair and backpack baby carrier
Underseat area - three camping chairs, camping table, cheapo tent for storage, hookup cable
Tools kept under passenger seat as have diesel with starter battery next to engine.
We tend to keep clothes in holdall type bags which travel in rear along with set of levellers and a pushchair. Also have a biggish supermarket crate that goes in the back that any other stuff can fit in like spare beer for the fridge. Often set up an awning to keep the kit in but if not we use the cheap tent to chuck all the stuff in that we don't need in the van with us like the child car seat, pushchair and the crate.
1983 Westy Joker HighTop, 1Z TDI Conversion

lhd
80-90 Mem No: 1808

Post by lhd »

Tell you what are really good, them collapsible crates you get from Wilkos and alike, they're about £1.99. I always have one slid behind the wardrobe(from the fromt at window height) really good for taking your pots, pans and plates to the washing up area or a number of other uses. :wink:
oo arhhh Pete glad to see you on here, hope your well.
Rob.

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Ditto that LHD we have two collapsible crates in the hightop above the front seats with non-fridge food in one and pans, plates etc in the other

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

fridge=beer cupboards=beer draw=beer you get the picture.
member 1168

ttcharlie
80-90 Mem No: 3706

Post by ttcharlie »

Hacksawbob wrote:fridge=beer cupboards=beer draw=beer you get the picture.

Mate, that's shocking......

Where you putting the crisps and nuts???? :rollin
Counting Bricks........

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

ttcharlie wrote:
Hacksawbob wrote:fridge=beer cupboards=beer draw=beer you get the picture.

Mate, that's shocking......

Where you putting the crisps and nuts???? :rollin

In me belly as a lining. :D
member 1168

Big Boris
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Big Boris »

This is what mine usually has for going away most weekends with me, the wife and a two year old.

Cupboard and drawer below sink. cutlery in drawer, pots, pans etc in drawer

Cupboard to left of fridge. - wash up stuff, cloths, kitchen roll, t towels, wahsing line, pegs, cling film ,foil, plastic bags, bin bags

Two shallow cupboards over water tank - dry goods in one ie pasta, beans, bread,salt and pepper, tea bags, sugar etc. Other cupboard has portable DVD player, cards, games, books, and a 'how to get your Eber to work guide'!

Wardrobe - Boots, Cadac, dust pan and brush, and a tub trug bucket that we use for washing up

Over bed cupboard - towels in one side, other side has plastic plates, bowls and plastic glasses.

Back cupboard - Van repair stuff.....cupboard is therefore full!!!!!!!!

Front overcab locker (in high top) - clothes. his one side, mine the other.

Top bunk area - table, chairs, usually his surfboard, coats awning

Underseat area - safe, hi-vis jackets, fire extinguisher, small gas cooker.

Bedding goes behind the rear seats in the bed area.

We also have a big Coleman 6 day cooler. We put that behind the seats and bungee attach it in place. There is then enough room for the water carrier (always travel with it full in case of breakdown) to slide in next to it.