Andy Tats Hinklevagon

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Andy Tats Hinklevagon

Post by Plasticman »

Well , Andys van is not the worst but was looking sad and tatty,
Caught I think before it got really bad, As its running on fools fuel I will be dropping the tank out as just dont like welding near the stuff ,especially as .
Image usual rear arches,
not the worst but no doubt it wont be that pretty inside,
Van is now shelled so will commence stripping back to bare metal, grit blast as required, glass yet to come out and new seals all round,
Mike :ok

toolsntat
80-90 Mem No: 644

Re: Andy Tats Hinklevagon

Post by toolsntat »

Good on ya Mike :ok

So weird not having it on the drive to fling crap n stuff in as and when :roll:

Waiting nervously to see what the next instalment will reveal :(

Cheers
Andy
------------------
"GOT ANY OLD TOOLS??"
"WANT ANY OLD TOOLS??"
WANTED old treadle lathe please......
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1980 2.0L Aircooled Blue Hightop Holdsworth Villa Camper
2002 White 2.0l 280 td swb hightop Tranzit works van

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well, YOU need be nervouse, not too many horrors found...........yet :D
We stripped a fair bit of the bottom half, I like the fact that it doesnt appear to have had a full repaint before , touch up and panals yes. also was dark blue beneath the lower swage line.
rust at rear of slider mount appears surface subject to sharp hammer test
N/S rear corner has had work and filler , will remove this and start again
O/S same with apparent surface rust, should gritblast out
This shows the lower area ,bottom swage down, loads of gunge and the earlier dark blue
Decent stripper works well, I dont like taking a grinder to everything as removing metal is the last thing I want to do when its in shortish supply,
Bare metalling a lot of the van seems over kill but there is rust etc that wasnt visible prior and this is on factory paint, there is nothing worse than trying to feather out past works and in this as many cases with filler applied over paint, (shouldnt ever be done).
Will look in more detail at exactly what panals to cut and where , as I prefere to retain as much factory thick as possible rather than what we are unfortunately offered most of the time.
mike

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

metalmick8y wrote:Decent stripper works well, I dont like taking a grinder to everything as removing metal is the last thing I want to do when its in shortish supply

Have you tried these discs?

Back to bright & shiny in seconds flat, even through filler, but nowhere near hard enough to grind the steel. I can imagine you'd get through a few to do the whole van, though...
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Yep loads of them but stripping much quicker and easier, though not for the crevices :D
mike

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well , been busy but not posted, need to buy a new camera, so phone picks for now,
this van is pretty good overall, but a few of the ususal suspects need work , fuel filler area is shot as is the front of B post
Now as this van runs on fuels fuel till it gets gassed I have choosen to remove the tank , dont like petrol and welding..too old to take chances.,,the tank is in very good as in as new condition but one of the pipes from tank to exp tank not connected.
got some panals from schofields, dont intend to fit the full front arch just the rear bit from filler neck down, as the rest is solid, will get this,the B post and step done over the w'end,
mike

toolsntat

Post by toolsntat »

Hey up then....
Mmmmm that's the bit behind the filler pipe that scared me :run
Wonder if that pipe to expansion tank has come off or I forgot to connect it when fitting that new tank :roll: :oops:

Cheers Mike :ok

Andy
------------------
"GOT ANY OLD TOOLS??"
"WANT ANY OLD TOOLS??"

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

If I can put it this way, there is crud on the pipe which wouldnt exist if it was protected by a ........hose :rofl
We'll see about scary tommorow when I cut it all open :D
I will clip the hosses on when refitting, and mark up your fuel guage with 5 litres..
mike

fidget
80-90 Mem No: 9027

Post by fidget »

Hi Mike

What was the front arch you got from schofields like?. The one I got was terrible, really surprised how bad it was as schofields are normally pretty good.

Glad I only need the back portion with the filler hole as using the whole thing would be loads of work.

James
If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

CRAP!!! but not a problem as Rick did say they was rubbish and like yourself I only need the very rear bit (thank goodness)
mike

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well cut the outer bit off to get access(twas knackered)
and the top
Now where did I leave those grips
cut the bad out and as the rest of the B post is ok was easier to let a side in and sort the bottom, JP is in very good order as is the rest of that area
Copied the original and made it in 2 parts, no reason except why not
Now I need to search for a cheap decent point and click camera
mike

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Been a bit slack posting up , but as camera has died Ive lost enthusiasm :cry: Anyhow JP was good but required a very small plate to one side which it now has, the bottom of the B pillar was shot and as I didnt feel the need or have the inclination to fit a thin repro I choose to repair it, the lower sill is very good ,just the forward edge was gone so made a piece and let it in then made a pillar bottom and welded that in.
The new panal I cut up as there was and is no point fitting what isnt needed and is such a poor pressing, thankfully the rear part that usually rots is fit for purpose!
This bit now just needs a tap or three with the hammers and the seam gritblasting,
I do all the external blasting in one hit when all panals finnished and then treat the seams,
I have brazed the lower seam which is joining the bottom of B pillar to lower sill, reason being that there is no access to weld internaly, I cant not weld it and if I migged or gas welded this it would leave an ugly filled in bit of body that would be out of place, Brazing has allowed me to join it and do the braze in such a way that it has flowed into the seam as opposed to sitting on it, (dont try this with prefluxed rods it wont work, )and being non ferrouse wont rot,will just neaten up the seam with the generic dremel ..
mike

toolsntat

Post by toolsntat »

Cheers Mike, it was this section I thought would crumple whenever I jacked it :shock:

Mmmm brazing :idea: you any good on busted cast iron woodworking planes :roll: :lol: :run

Andy
------------------
"GOT ANY OLD TOOLS??"
"WANT ANY OLD TOOLS??"

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

I will test it by jacking 2 wheels up from it, will that do :rofl
Can pre-heat braze it yes but cant vouch for the strength of the repair but if its just for display? post a picky
mike

toolsntat

Post by toolsntat »

metalmick8y wrote:Can pre-heat braze it yes but cant vouch for the strength of the repair but if its just for display? post a picky
mike

Just pullin ya pissa ,got enough good uns for users and if its fer display I just turn it round t'other way :wink:

You and ya "post a picky" :roll:

Get ya camera sorted :lol: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Andy
------------------
"GOT ANY OLD TOOLS??"
"WANT ANY OLD TOOLS??"