T25 POP TOP ROOF MOLD ISSUE.

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

johnsherrott

T25 POP TOP ROOF MOLD ISSUE.

Post by johnsherrott »

Hi all...... I was wondering if anyone could help me!

I'm a proud new owner of a VW 1980 devon moonraker. I'm having mold issues with the pop top roof... I'm hoping that somebody on here will know the best way to deal with it?

The mold, is mostly appearing on the carpet roof lineing, i'm not sure if there is a cleaning product that would deal with this?

I'm tempted to just replace the whole carpet, but am unsure of how big a task this would be. does anyone know if you can still buy the replacement carpet to fit the 1981 devon moonraker ?

thanks

John

Blue Moonraker
80-90 Mem No: 7316

Re: T25 POP TOP ROOF MOLD ISSUE.

Post by Blue Moonraker »

You'll probably get this most years (always had it our devon roof lining over the winter months) it's condensation/damp. Try 1001 carpet cleaner, spray nozzle one is ok just treat the affected areas. For more stubborn marks Dettol Mould & Mildew remover, also spray nozzle, green bottle, it is very strong so be careful and test it somewhere first.
Its on the road to Nowhere, no one passes by.
No one comes to Norfolk, without a reason why.
1989 Red Westy California

lhd
80-90 Mem No: 1808

Post by lhd »

Milton works a treat, lots of posts on here and brickyard.
Rob.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

As Rob says, also try parking it up a bit with the top raised and nut hatch open . get some airflow.
mike

Llamapup
80-90 Mem No: 8366

Post by Llamapup »

I have a westy poptop with a flock roof lining. Different than carpet I know, but it was mouldy none the less. You cant scrub these as the flock will just come off. It was really mouldy though. I used a ratio of 1 part liquid milton to 10 parts water in a spray bottle. I saturated the roof lining and just left it for 10 mins. It cleared all of the mould away! I wouldn't bother with any other treatment given how well this worked.

Best of luck
1988 LHD Volkswagen Westfalia Camper

Llamapup
80-90 Mem No: 8366

Post by Llamapup »

ddf wrote:I think that Milton is the same or very similar product to what we call mould and mildew remover over here. Just dilute it down a tad, spray it on and as someone else has just said, in about 10 minutes the mould just disappears.

Milton is a chemical used for sterilising baby bottles. It smells a little like bleach, but its much more gentle. Bleach would just eat through the ageing materials our interiors are made of. I'm sure some sort of spray on Mildew remover would probably work fine. I just like milton caust it cost about 40p and I know it works. I've got babies so Milton is always on hand in my house.

Regardless of what product you use, the main point here is don't worry too much about mildew stains spoiling the look of your poptop. You can definately clean it really well wih out much trouble.
1988 LHD Volkswagen Westfalia Camper

fullsunian
80-90 Mem No: 5092

Post by fullsunian »

Not sure if antbody has mentioned it but the best stuff is Dettol Mould and mildew remover, its in a green spray bottle. Worked ace on my devon, keep well ventilated though...
IAN
Mmm what's that strange smell from my exhaust...

johnsherrott

Post by johnsherrott »

Hi all....... thanks a lot........ got scrubbin with the milton and its looking as good as new!

Cheers

John