so c'mon, is the AAZ conversion worth it?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

BigAsh

Re: so c'mon, is the AAZ conversion worth it?

Post by BigAsh »

Ive recently converted mine to AAZ from petrol. The reason I went AAZ is that it works on a petrol box as the AAZ revs more than a TDi. I bought one with the eco pump on it as these produce naff all power so the engine has had an easy life. I have now put a pump on with the LDA on it and upped the boost and fuel. Its now about 120bhp with more to come. Theres plenty of good engines and spares and knowledge if you know where to look. TDi seemed like a nightmare to me plus it would not work unless I spent a fortune on a new box. I have had an indicated 100mph and it flies! It drives like a car now. You can get them up to 200bhp if your brave! :D

Oh and 100,000 miles is low for these engines anyway so why worry. They will keep going if you look after them!

hairyuk
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by hairyuk »

hi big ash what size tyres have you got on your van to be able to get to 100mph

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

hairyuk wrote:hi big ash what size tyres have you got on your van to be able to get to 100mph

It must rev to 6k......
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

NoLocation
NoVehicle

So guessing, its a caravelle with a high box and big wheels and 6000 + (though T25 speedos are quite porky pie at those speeds, and we know 100mph requires more than 120 BHP)
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

BigAsh wrote: I have now put a pump on with the LDA on it and upped the boost and fuel. Its now about 120bhp with more to come. They will keep going if you look after them!

err any proof of the about 120bhp and err how does first statement fit with final one ?

faggie

Post by faggie »

the aaz engined multivan i had i would be lucky if it would reach 80mph on a good day it was seriously underpowered after 3 months i could not live with the lack of performance even after a full service so i sold it on at a small profit the new owner is happy with it and thinks its fast for a van

youthy giblets

Post by youthy giblets »

i got peugoet 2.1 with big tyures on back with standard 3h box would pull 105mph with sat nav now running 0.70 3h will only pull about 95 but fuel economy much better as well as engine life increased considerably now this engine left the factory in 1995 at 112horses some of those are bound to have escaped now but really cant see an aaz pulling that speed and 120 bhp????

shanco73
80-90 Mem No: 6874

Post by shanco73 »

Sounds like a lot to me,,

Back to the post.

I have had a 1.6d and an AAZ both in high top campers.

The 1.6 diesel would get very warm cruising motorways at 60mph, 55 was more like it, and on hills it was very very slow talk about traffic queues behind.

The AAZ in my camper accelerates very well in standard trim, and gladly sits at 60 nice and quietly on a run, obviously will go faster than that, it loves going up hills and it is pretty good on diesel. I realy like this engine. Mine has never overheated..... yet

:ok
85 high top, home brew
engine 1995 AAZ (Mirtle)
sleeps 2 adults and one baby - so far
Off road (under MIG at the mo)
Soon to be seen at a campsiye near you !!

shanco73@hotmail.com surrey

BigAsh

Post by BigAsh »

Sorry I never did get back to this thread. Yes my van should rev to 6k apparently(due to the pump) but no rev counter yet. The 120bhp I have read it should produce with these mods and the guys on the caddy forum really tune these engines, and one of them has had my pump and done the magic!

Running DT box

4th gear 0.85
Final drive 4.57
Tyre diameter 27.18" 235/55/17

5000rpm =104mph
6000rpm=125mph but no it wont do this but I have had 100 indicated on many occasions with slightly smaller front tyres. With slightly bigger than standard front tyres Ive seen over 90mph.

Yes AAZ IS worth it!

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

Its worth it..main issue with the AAZ is the pump leaking air but resealling by a pro can be done for reasonable cost, and overheating is one thing but generall hot running is another...mine ran a bit hot untill i put a cooler on it when given some stick..but so did the JX!

Do it but do it right...most are just tipped in and have underlying faults leading to failiurs..timing, cooling, oil temps, fuel supply are critical but simple enought to get right.

BigAsh

Post by BigAsh »

Well I'll hopefully have mine on the rolling road soon after I have fitted my propane injection/fumigation kit. Then we will see wont we! lol

nathanbowler

Post by nathanbowler »

futbus wrote: 15 Jul 2010, 11:54 Fitted mine in my syncro about 4 years ago and apart from replacing normal service bits has been fine, starts in all weathers and travelled about 60K since fitting.

Well worth the effort in my opinion.

Next conversion when this one goes south will be the tdi 1.9.

hello, ime just about to fit aaz to my syncro. i was wondering what kind of mpg you get with a syncro and aaz? many thanks

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

nathanbowler wrote: 08 Jan 2023, 17:18
futbus wrote: 15 Jul 2010, 11:54 Fitted mine in my syncro about 4 years ago and apart from replacing normal service bits has been fine, starts in all weathers and travelled about 60K since fitting.

Well worth the effort in my opinion.

Next conversion when this one goes south will be the tdi 1.9.

hello, ime just about to fit aaz to my syncro. i was wondering what kind of mpg you get with a syncro and aaz? many thanks

Has not been back for 4 years!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

nathanbowler

Post by nathanbowler »

hello all, does anyone have any idea of mpg in a t35 syncro with aaz engine? ime about to change engine and need as good mpg as poss as going on a long trip! many thanks,

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

nathanbowler wrote: 08 Jan 2023, 17:49 hello all, does anyone have any idea of mpg in a t35 syncro with aaz engine? ime about to change engine and need as good mpg as poss as going on a long trip! many thanks,

I think I get around 30mpg from mine