side window removal

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

NOT ANOTHER LEAK
80-90 Mem No: 2272

side window removal

Post by NOT ANOTHER LEAK »

any advice welcome on replacing the window rubbers on my side window and sliding door window,they are not factory fitted and so have the rubber filler strip fitted.
do i need a tool to re-fit this trim,also do i fit the rubbers to the glass and then use the old string trick from inside the van while pushing on the outside thanks for any advice
richard
richard member no 2278
sorry son no screwballs left

Grun
80-90 Mem No: 1250

Post subject: side window removal

Post by Grun »

Richard,
Yes and Yes. Did mine several years ago and incipient altzheimers or over indulgence in the amber nectar has dulled the senses since then.
I made a little gadget to refit the filler strip from an old file handle and a bit of stiff fencing wire. (Tight git that I am) I have a feeling that I have seen the tool on JK?s web site. Can be done (filler strip) with a flat bladed screw driver and washing up liquid. Method employed on Westland Whirlwind helicopters due to lack of the proper tool in the mid sixties by yours truly.
An intelligent helper is useful but impossible for me to find!
Gently and slowly is my advice.
Mike
P.S. http://217.29.195.146/FMPro?-db=wproduc ... 201&-find= should take you to the Just Kampers tool (Part number J11400 Diamond Lacing Tool) at a diamond studded price of £8.95 plus P&P.
'Two 'eads is better'n wun even if mine's a sheeps'
Grun
Member Number 1250
D reg 2.1 DJ autosleeper poptop

NOT ANOTHER LEAK
80-90 Mem No: 2272

Post by NOT ANOTHER LEAK »

thanks mike,looks like im gonner have to fork out for a tool :(
richard member no 2278
sorry son no screwballs left

Grun
80-90 Mem No: 1250

re:side window removal

Post by Grun »

Richard,
You may find it easier to fit the window from the inside, pulling the string from the outside, as the part of the seal without the locking strip is easier to deform. It is such a long time since I did mine and I have lots of fibreglass mouldings around the windows in my Autosleeper, which made the job difficult. I took the lot out for a respray.
Just a thought.
Mike
'Two 'eads is better'n wun even if mine's a sheeps'
Grun
Member Number 1250
D reg 2.1 DJ autosleeper poptop