how do you do body work?!?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

hunepromo

how do you do body work?!?

Post by hunepromo »

Hello,

Ive got a T25 2.1i 1990 panel van. Its dark blue. Its got a few little patches of rust and I would like to give it a go at fixing them. but I would like some advise on the best why to caryy it out.

I was planning to :

-Use sand paper to remove the rust patches back to bare metal.
-The use white spirt to remove any grease.
-tape around the metal area and spray with somesort of metal protector (Ive seen some vans with grey patches which I assume is the same stuff)
-Then once dry, another lite sand and clean with white sprit
-Then spray a few coats of dark blue paint (Theres a paint code under the s/wheel so Im going to try and get the same colour)

Does this sound right or am I doing it completey wrong?!?!?
And does anyone know where the best place to get the paint from??? The paint code is LH5V

I look forward to hearing from people!!! Please....

Jamie

missusjen
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by missusjen »

'grey patches' are more likely to be primer - sounds about right otherwise though.....get your rust treatment stuff (jenolite etc etc) and follow the instructions as given as they tend to vary slightly.
Then primer it - leave it bare primer for as short a time as possible in this weather as primer is porous and will rust underneath. You'll need to get the correct colour primer to go with the top coat - more than likely grey, but it will say on the tin or paint. Get your top coats on - don't panic about it because if it runs etc, you can simply rub it back and re-do.
You may even find you can get the spray paint 'off the shelf' if it's a popular colour, if not then Halfords or another car place will make it up for you (bit more expensive).

H5V is apparently Dove Grey Metallic - see Brickyards colour code reference pages courtesy of Simon Baxter.......
http://194.242.159.246/brickyard/info/colour.htm

:D

"HEY, LOOK AT MY CAR"

I bid you farewell.......for now.......

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Always check the Wiki! This may help with some areas:-

http://www.club80-90.co.uk/wiki/index.p ... 31d69c80cd
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper