5spd to 4 spd swap problems

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mr_bricolage
80-90 Mem No: 0

5spd to 4 spd swap problems

Post by mr_bricolage »

Hi I have run into a slight problem. I have swapped a 5 spd box to a 4 spd DK box however the front gearbox mount does not reach the original mounting holes by about 5cm. Anyone have any ideas as to what I am missing here. Also the linkage from the 4spd doesn't seem to reach either. Am I going mad? :shock:

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

What is year of the van and the engine.I have done this conversion to my 1.6td.You will need early lingage off 1.6 /2ltr arcooled . Gearbox mounting off the DK box to early Aircooled use but it will need extending to match up to bolting holes.Depending the year of the van the gear change linkage might need extending .There are other issues which need to be considered as there a diffrent gearstick mounting and hights between vehicles interchanging the linkage to the gear stick mounts effect the adjustment.Unless you are prepared to spend a lot of time & work it could end having problems getting all your gears.

mr_bricolage

Post by mr_bricolage »

I took everything from the gearbox right through to the gearchange selector to the linkage to the gearstick from the same van. So I am at a little bit of a loss at the moment.

camper

Post by camper »

I can give you a few basics with regard for 1.6td to convert to DK gearbox.If yours is petrol water cooled it might apply to yours.Aircooled 1.6/2ltr gearbox has the double ball gear selector in a diffrent position in relation to the single ball selector as for the water cooled petrol or diesel gearbox.So you need the 1.6/2ltr aicooled gear change linkage rods.I took off the DK gearbox bell housing and input shaft and fitted the diesel bell housing/shaft.On refitting gearbox to vehicle using the DK gearbox rear mounting it would not mate up with the bolt holes in fact it was 43mm to short.I fabricated the extra 43mm on the gearbox mounting and refitted the box. I added 43mm extra to the 2ltr DK rod change linkage refitted to the gear stick and gearbox.There was an issue i could not use the DK gear stick ball& socket mounting as it would not fit on my van.I kept the diesel van gear stick mounting on my late 1990 van.Under the gear stick mounting on the late van there are two plates one is screwed .The screwed one was removed.This then allowed the early gear change linkage to be adjusted for all gears to change.Oh i think the 1.6/2ltr has the gear rod change supporting bush in a diffrent crosss member on the chassis to the later water cooled or diesel .

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

mount

Post by billy739 »

the gearbox mount on the 5 speed is shorter than the 4 speeb mount,allowing for th 5th gear casing on the gearbox.
the air cooled box may run a similar mount to the 5 speed,so you need to try a 4 speed watercooled mount
have you looked at both mounts?are they the same if so this should be the prob.
cant remember off hand but will look tommorow at both.

mr_bricolage

Post by mr_bricolage »

OK probably not been clear here and left you very helpful people in the dark. I had a 2.1 mv motored van. It has the AGP 5 spd box originally in it. I am in the process of a subaru conversion which is using the RJES bellhousing which if using a 5 spd box should mount perfectly. However I am not. So I need to adapt the mount probably by about 5cm to meet the holes and the linkage also by said amount. Possibly I should also put my original gearlever in as well.

Correct me if I am wrong.

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

a

Post by billy739 »

do you mean aap? this it the same as the box your fitting but 5 speed,why change?

camper

Post by camper »

I would have used the diesel gearbox mounting instead of the DK.But the DK studs on the box fit diffrent and would require redrilling and spaced forward 43mm .In case i needed to go back to a diesel box i used the DK mounting plate.You may find this relevent . I your van is late where the Bush is located for the gear change rod it is in a diffrent position to the early in the chassis cross members.When i cut the gear selector rod to add the extra 43mm this was added towards the gearbox side of the bush.On adjustment to the selector rod where the bolted clamp and spline engages there was a problem as it came to far forward to the bush.Its best to cut and add on the other side of the bush towards the gear stick then it wont foul.Mark the positions of the splines to the gear change rod when you cut then add the extra keep it the same .If you dont the angle of the rods will be wrong for a gear change
Last edited by camper on 25 Jun 2007, 07:20, edited 3 times in total.

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Post by T'Onion »

try turning the mount round
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

mr_bricolage

Re:

Post by mr_bricolage »

billy739 wrote:do you mean aap? this it the same as the box your fitting but 5 speed,why change?

No I mean AGT. Sorry. This is a 5spd box with ratios for a 1.9 or heavily loaded camper as is mine.

Yes I have noticed that the gearlinkages are bent in funny ways so I will try to do the same.