Diesel engine problem

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jimmyt
80-90 Mem No: 6344

Diesel engine problem

Post by jimmyt »

Just got my first T25, 1989 1.6TD .

It has a few issues which I'm working through, pretty basic stuff, but one problem is beyond my understanding...although I'm sure my knowledge is going to rapidly increase over the next few months.....

The problem I have is with the engine racing at high revs. If I pull the throttle mechanism at the engine by hand and then release the revs remain really high, even though the throttle has returned to its normal position. If pull up to some traffic lights for example the engine will be racing at mega high revs, however, if I load the engine by sticking it in 2nd gear and releasing the clutch slowly the revs die down to normal idling speed.

I've never had a diesel before and so I'm not sure how the fuel/injector business works so any suggestions would be gratefully received

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Mine tends to do that when its been running for a while, let's hope we get a good answer coming along soon...

I've presumed it's because it's overfuelling for some reason, but mine is a bit of a mess in the engine dept. anyway!
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

I was thinking the timing was out a bit but I'm no expert
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Yes, it was on the Project doDoka, and wouldn't idle slowly.. but there has to be a time and place where it got 'out' and we knew that on the DoKa - my TD isn't but that only does it when very hot.

Luv the snowflakes Louey - is that Stephen's Christmas present - brill :D

Syncronaut No. 1

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I guess it could be a prob with the pump but

It could be a sign of old age on a diesel. The engine is actually running on its own oil blown by the rings. It only tends to happen when the engine is hot (or just very worn).
Sounds nuts but it happens more often than you expect.

Not much can be done apart from an engine rebuild.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Now that does sound a good rationale for my lump's behaviour :idea:

Whether its same for JimmyT's, I can't say

Syncronaut No. 1

jimmyt

Post by jimmyt »

I'm hoping its just the injector pump thats faulty, I don't get any smoke when it gets stuck in high revs which I presume you should get if its burning oil. The engine has done 160K and hasn't been particularly well cared for but seems to run okay.....perhaps a compression test would be a good idea. Any suggestions on where I could get an injector pump from and any tips for installing?

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

If it hasn't had a new timing belt in recent history then, its probably just worn out, so off a young one in a scrapyard? Maybe the c80-90 traders might have one.

Syncronaut No. 1

Russel
80-90 Mem No: 1052

Post by Russel »

THis is a sighn of spindle ware on ure pump.
A worn engine ore turbo can(will)cause run on,eg.at high revs on mototway u will suddenly feel the engine accelirate and then when u back of on the diesle and the engine stops breathing so heavily (this causes it to run on engine oil)it will slow down.
When a diesle runs on its oil it will not neccesarely smoke.If the oil is warm(hot) and it is in small amounts there will be no smoke.

jimmyt

Post by jimmyt »

Well, a replacement pump is definitely on the cards.
Would the fact that I get my symptoms when the engine has just started make more of a case for pump failure/wear rather than worn cyclinders/rings?
I guess given its mileage it will be blowing some oil past the rings just a question of how much. It was supposedly 're-conditioned' 20K miles ago but there is no record of what was actually done.....
I'll try and get a pump over the next few days and then see if I can stick it in.
Thanks for replies.

TD
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by TD »

My experience is that pumps last many years longer than TD engines, so you could be wasting a lot on a recon pump whuch are dear( never mess with them).
My TD burned its own oil at the end, they do that mine at 108K, but some go earlier , few later.
They are a heavy van for such a small engine and are really disposable. But if bodgers have been at work to make it last a few milkes more, that's what'll it do.
Time to get a proper recon engine? :shock:
Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see.
Member LX