DG Waterleaks!!!

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ashman
80-90 Mem No: 0

DG Waterleaks!!!

Post by ashman »

My 1987 DG is leaking water from the head gaskets!!!

Is this a sign of a bigger internal problem or just a case of removing the offending articles and replacing the gaskets?

Thanks

Ash

Ye Olde Syncrospares
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1315

Post by Ye Olde Syncrospares »

your guessing untill you tear it apart and have a look,nice festive project,cj.
bought some real off roaders!!!!!!!

ashman

Post by ashman »

Ho ho ho humbug! Not what I had in mind to be tackling over the christmas holiday, but hey it could be worse :roll:

Dan Wood
80-90 Mem No: 2309

Post by Dan Wood »

We've had the same problem! Was a slow drip that only happened after the engine had been stood cold for a few days... Then over the frosty nights of winter it got worse.... by March of last year I was in despair - opened the expansion tank to top up and got a hiss. Air in, water out :(

Thankfully, Mr. BrickYard started up in business at about the same time and we were one of his first customers. He got the cylinder head off, changed the gaskets and we've had a happy 1.9 DG ever since.

Only word of caution is that when you try and get the head off, the bolts may break. You'll need a new engine then probably. :(

My view was an engine with no water was as useless as one with busted bolts, so it was worth a shot.

Good luck!

P.S. If you don't fancy the job, I can recommend Simon 110%

ashman

Post by ashman »

'Only word of caution is that when you try and get the head off, the bolts may break. You'll need a new engine then probably.'

Corroded head studs are the main concern. It isn't leaking too badly at the moment so hopefully she'll make it through the winter and I'll open it up when it gets warmer!!! Fingers crossed.

NOT ANOTHER LEAK
80-90 Mem No: 2272

Post by NOT ANOTHER LEAK »

be afraid,be very afraid :twisted:
richard member no 2278
sorry son no screwballs left

smavan
80-90 Mem No: 1159

Post by smavan »

mines leaking from same area! not bad but always looks worse than it is. its down to the cold weather, i panicked last year when it started leaking but i then read a topic on the vanagon website that said when it gets really cold the alloy in the engine contracts and leaks occur. mine has been fine over the summer and i am sure that it will be fine again when it warms up! optimist? :D hell yes but my breakdown cover is up to date.
1.9 DG Tin Top 89
Member 1159