Alternative Steering wheel

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dridgy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Alternative Steering wheel

Post by dridgy »

Im fed up with my original steering wheel its a bit worn out now.
Can you get those nice wood rim steering wheels to fit a van, not a small diameter one but a big one?
Also what other vw steering wheels fit our vans without any modifications?
Golf, Bora?
Thanks
John

dink

Post by dink »

there are other dub wheels that will fit, none that i know of without modification, unless you ft a t3 caravelle wheel
i have a 4 buton mkII golf wheel on mine
took about an hour to make it fit, it's a matter of stripping down the colum taking it off and putting a couple of spacers under the bearing in the colum, welding an extension tab to the steering lock moulding (otherwise the steering lock doesn't work) :oops: then putting it all back together again
simple enough

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

i bought a vanagon steering wheel from a guy at bustypes.it fits straight on.its smaller than my original and fatter.but you can still see your clocks and steering the van is still the same...i have the guys number if you want it...
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

dridgy
80-90 Mem No: 0

wheel

Post by dridgy »

oh damn.
only some dude on ebay keeps selling these steering wheels for t25s that supposedly fit straight on.
but they are going fo 50 quid upwards and i dont think any steering wheel is worth that unless its a nice wood one.
heres the link of his latest ones.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &rd=1&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0104634028

i like the last wheel does anyone know what car its from?
i did email the guy and ask him but he wont reply.

thanks

John

mickB

Post by mickB »

i have a 345mm diameter 3 spoke sport wheel and boss from volksbits on mine,big enough to use (even with 225/40x16tyres) and looks nice
cheesed off at outsiders interference

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

Ther was a bit of a brew ha ha concerning this a while back basically yes they fit and similar may have been fitted to to late model vans WITH POWER STEERING. Due to the reduced diameter of some of these car based wheels it will require more effort to steer and may obscure your clocks speedo etc. I can't (and am not) commenting on that particular auction you listed but be aware of this when searching for replacements. LT steering wheels fit too apparently. There was an Ebay seller who rightly or wrongly got a load of grief from some members for being economical with the truth regarding their suitability for T25s if this is the same person this may be why he has not answered your mail.
member 1168