Sliding Door Grease

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

owlets

Sliding Door Grease

Post by owlets »

Think the bottom runner on my sliding door needs some grease, what sort should I use and how much?

Rozzo
80-90 Mem No: 3339

Post by Rozzo »

i'd have said any and plenty of it. i'm going to do mine tomorrow as it happens and will splodge plenty of ordinary grease on the bottom one but a miniscule ammount of coppergrease on the top so it doesn't cover everyone who goes near it :roll:
LT owner and positively rattling around with the new found space
member 3339

Tex Ritter
80-90 Mem No: 1057

Post by Tex Ritter »

rozzolink wrote:i'd have said any and plenty of it. i'm going to do mine tomorrow as it happens and will splodge plenty of ordinary grease on the bottom one but a miniscule ammount of coppergrease on the top so it doesn't cover everyone who goes near it :roll:

I second this reply. I did my top runner with 'copperslip' and then spent a load of time during my 3 weeks in SOF continually wiping the excess off, due to the heat, it ran like a snotty nose.

Moral; As 'rozzolink' says, use grease sparingly.
If you never have a route planned ...how can you ever be lost?

Westy.Club.Joker
80-90 Mem No: 2863
Location: Sunny Lancs. 1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker pop-top

Post by Westy.Club.Joker »

Copperslip is not a lubricant, it is an anti-sieze compound. OK on bolts and nuts that you want to undo later, but not meant to be used for "greasing" bearings etc.

Try getting some marine grease (trailer bearing grease) or similar, will stay on due to being quite thick and also waterproof so will stay put, you only need a smear. It will pick up dirt and fluff anyway, so needs to be kept clean and redone now and again :)
Keep it real.

Search first - ask second ;>}

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Waterprrof bearing grease sometime sknown as 'blue grease' Mobil did it in nice tubes for about £3 a throw but have heard from local Motofax that its been discontinued (they bought up last of local stock).

Castrol zinc based grease for brake rubbing parts (cams and pivots of shoe brakes) should stick around... its thick and off-white/light yellowish colour - obviously good for sliding metal parts and waterproof. Prob. only large tins though
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Vash
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Vash »

Headley18
80-90 Mem No: 160

Post by Headley18 »

I have the perfect grease for bottom rollers :wink: and will apply it on the 16th :D
Pete
Member 160

A Man barely alive

Tex Ritter

Post by Tex Ritter »

Westy.Club.Joker wrote:Copperslip is not a lubricant, it is an anti-sieze compound. OK on bolts and nuts that you want to undo later, but not meant to be used for "greasing" bearings etc.

Try getting some marine grease (trailer bearing grease) or similar :)

There were no bearings greased on the door, just the top track guide.

Copperslip was the only 'grease' to hand at the time. :wink:

I don't think there is a bearing in the slider top, just a nylon type wheel/block :?:

But there again I could be wrong :shock:

Tex Ritter

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Just a thought, and something I'll be doing next time is to use 'food; grease. Its used for greasing up equipment in food industry and is pure white. My reservation about regreasing sliding doors is that kids have a habit of sticking their fingers into grease areas and its a devil to get off hands and/or clothes. Food grease may well be a good solution. As far as I know the properties are identical.

Tex Ritter

Post by Tex Ritter »

CovKid wrote:My reservation about regreasing sliding doors is that kids have a habit of sticking their fingers into grease areas and its a devil to get off hands and/or clothes.

Or even grown ups :wink:

Tex Ritter

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Tex Ritter wrote:
CovKid wrote:My reservation about regreasing sliding doors is that kids have a habit of sticking their fingers into grease areas and its a devil to get off hands and/or clothes.

Or even grown ups :wink:

Tex Ritter

oh dear ...rumbled :oops:
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

owlets

Post by owlets »

Headley18 wrote:I have the perfect grease for bottom rollers :wink: and will apply it on the 16th :D

Excellent cheers Pete :D