Cylinder head advice wanted

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

adsnape
80-90 Mem No: 15211

Cylinder head advice wanted

Post by adsnape »

Morning all
I have black wet soot coming out of my exhaust pipe, coupled with a coolant loss. I don't have milky oil, so I have so far diagnosed a head gasket between water jacket and cylinder. Does that sound reasonable? The water stops spouting after a few minutes, which I take to be the cylinder expanding and filling the gap
How big a job are the cylinder head gaskets? I'm happy with spanners but wary of snapping the studs. I'd want to replace them too, how do you get them out of the block?
Thanks.
I love my brick

pierce
80-90 Mem No: 9002

Re: Cylinder head advice wanted

Post by pierce »

You do get condensation dripping out of exhausts until the engine is hot, you see it all the time driving behind other cars. Coolant has a smell to it, I would have a smell of the soot if it has that weird sweet coolant smell then you may be on to something.

How much coolant are you loosing? I would have thought you would get some white smoke too if that were the issue.

To get studs out you put two nuts on the end of the stud and wind one onto the other, you can then put a socket on them and undo them as if it were a bolt.
88 Westie 1.6TD

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Wbx head studs won't come out that easily! L

Usually a full strip down job, split the case, heat up with a big propane torch and then clamp the case down and extract with a ½" drive self-tightening chuck.

IF it goes well. Which it often doesn't.

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

check the water isnt just condensation, its pretty rare for water to run out of the exhaust 

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

pierce wrote:
To get studs out you put two nuts on the end of the stud and wind one onto the other, you can then put a socket on them and undo them as if it were a bolt.

Ooohhhhhh if only! This is the Disney version of how it should go. Reality is often a horrible nightmare version. Lots of heat, swearing, hammering, soaking, heating again, 1/2" rattle gun on the new self-tightening chuck, destroy the chuck, order another and soak studs in plusgas whilst awaiting delivery, reheat case with big propane torch, much hotter this time (until smoking). Try rattle gun again, and if you're very lucky the stud will finally come out. If you're not so lucky it'll snap off near the bottom. Then weld a nut on stump, and use impact socket and long extension to break it off again. Repeat six or more times before giving up and scrapping the case. But you might find they come out easily...

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

:lol: Disney version :lol:

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Yeah.. Im still twitchy about my headstuds that the local machine shop buggered up drilling out and helicoiled my case... 
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

Sadly all my vehicles are old, and I have yet to see that particular Disney feature for myself.

Especially on the van - I cannot think how many studs I have sheared, drilled and tapped, with the odd helicoil thread repair thrown in for good measure.

Tired 40 year old nuts, bolts and studs are totally poo to work on.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

"Tired" translation in this case: Rotten, embrittled. Not fit for service.