More Fuel Pipe Issues.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

keynsham1
80-90 Mem No: 0

More Fuel Pipe Issues.

Post by keynsham1 »

I just gave my van an annual check today and found this fuel pipe cracked. It's the pump to carb pipe on a 1.9DG. The pipe is only a year old, from a reputable source and R9 so E10 compatible. But it is still degrading fast. The other pipes are fine so i suspect this is a faulty batch but it is something to think about.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: More Fuel Pipe Issues.

Post by R0B »

Probably made in China.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Gates Barricade R14 - 100% ethanol proof. Not cheap, I have to buy mine from the US of A.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

I’ve used fuel injection hose for years from Halfords, partly because they are one of the few suppliers that have 5.6mm in stock , I’ve never had an issue with it

cobblers
80-90 Mem No: 17450

Post by cobblers »

It's not a bad batch. Not faulty, just fake! Your reputable source has been buying from less reputable sources. Make sure you give them some grief about it, they've saved a few quid and your van could very well have gone on fire.

Making fuel hose that doesn't fall apart after a few months is a tried and tested process - but it costs money. OEMs have been buying the stuff for 25+ years, and you never see it fall apart like this. This hose would have been ruined with any fuel, ethanol has nothing to do with it.

What you've been sold is just "any cheap rubber hose" with some marking printed on the side and sold as fuel hose.

Buy cohline/gates direct from a distributor and you'll have no problems.

R0B

Post by R0B »

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

cobblers wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 21:36 It's not a bad batch. Not faulty, just fake! Your reputable source has been buying from less reputable sources. Make sure you give them some grief about it, they've saved a few quid and your van could very well have gone on fire.

Making fuel hose that doesn't fall apart after a few months is a tried and tested process - but it costs money. OEMs have been buying the stuff for 25+ years, and you never see it fall apart like this. This hose would have been ruined with any fuel, ethanol has nothing to do with it.

What you've been sold is just "any cheap rubber hose" with some marking printed on the side and sold as fuel hose.

The original hoses on my 1976 fuel injected bay window were still fine at 40 years old :)

keynsham1

Post by keynsham1 »

Interesting responses for sure. I won't reveal my supplier online but let's just say they are very a well known one to a lot of us i expect. I imagine Gates hose is proper stuff as they make it themselves as far as I know but for hose from anywhere else where citroen is bought in, I will remain cautious.

The real point of my post was not to criticise any suppliers or for advice but just to warn people what can happen and how quickly as these engine bays probably don't get checked as often as they should due to access.

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

I am not sure what is changed in the compounds, but todays rubbers are crap. They fall apart in a short time.

The german Cohline that Brickwerks sell seems to be better quality.
I had good luck with Gates too. Gates 3225 used on diesel. Bought it from my local autopart store
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

If the supplier is really reputable they will hold their hands up so you should name them as there may be others who have bought from them in the belief what they were buying was the high quality they wanted and they should be aware there may be an issue, the Syncro boys and girls especially have a more fuel hose in places where it cannot easily all be visually checked without removing the gearbox and fuel tank, but in the same way the breathers on the 2wd tank have hose above the tank that is very difficult to see and 2wd owners may have replaced the breather connector hoses

show us the writing on the hose at least so we can go aha, oh dear that's what I have

R0B

Post by R0B »

I agree with Aidan. We need to know the supplier as many of us may have bought the same hose.

keynsham1

Post by keynsham1 »

The reason I can't name names is simply because I have a big bag full of hose of all sizes that I use. It has not all come from a single supplier but I always chose who I buy from carefully in the hope that I get quality parts. As the split length is so short, I would have used an offcut from that bag. So I cannot really identify whom it came from, but it was definitely not a cheap pipe from Amazon!

It is true I am sure that the quality of rubber parts has deteriorated over the years. I hear this from other car clubs I am in. Apparently there it less natural rubber used than there used to be. I had a fuel tank filler neck to tank grommet from JK split in half after only 18 months. I bet the one it replaced was 35 years old at the time!!

R0B

Post by R0B »

You did say your supplier was very well known. :?

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Post by mioba »

davidoft1 wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 22:23
cobblers wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 21:36 It's not a bad batch. Not faulty, just fake! Your reputable source has been buying from less reputable sources. Make sure you give them some grief about it, they've saved a few quid and your van could very well have gone on fire.

The original hoses on my 1976 fuel injected bay window were still fine at 40 years old :)

Exactly. Its when you start replacing you realise how crap new stuff is and ask yourself why.
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love

nicktennear
80-90 Mem No: 8931

Post by nicktennear »

It's because for the longest time quality parts were made by lots of small companies for a price that reflected the quality, then big companies wanted a bit of that money so made the same parts but for cheaper so stockists took those to get a better margin. Then the original quality company stopped making the parts leaving the cheap company the only option, allowing them to put the price up resulting in cheap parts for loads of money. Capitalism eh?
1983 Reg 1.9 DF, mostly Devon. Wave on your way past.