Occasional Knock

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

randamonia
80-90 Mem No: 14035

Occasional Knock

Post by randamonia »

Hi
Read through other posts but none seem to match up really.
Very occasionally at about 15mph and just for a second or two I have noticed a knocking from the left rear, the last couple of times I’ve been out. Not a rumble like a wheel bearing but a knock, knock, knock. Goes away very quickly and only at the low speed. No movement on the half shafts and wheel nuts all good. Was supposed to do a 300 mile round trip this weekend but thinking maybe not till I have this sorted. Just to add it hasn’t had much use over winter.
Any thoughts please?
Thanks
1987 Autohomes Komet 1.9 DG

JeffRoo
80-90 Mem No: 15579

Re: Occasional Knock

Post by JeffRoo »

Might be cv joint. You’ll not notice the play in the driveshaft that would cause the knocking just by wiggling it. Does it get worse if you are going slowly around a corner? If it’s worse going one than the other it’s a definite cv joint. 
Also check your drive shaft bolts are tight. 

84 Caravelle 1.9DG

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Post by lefty67 »

Could be a dry cv joint. I had a similar sound a few years back which started as an intermittent knock which gradually got worse. I had the joints changed, both sides, but mechanic said they were both dry as grease had deteriorated. It is possible to 'inject' grease around the joint, I use a syringe used for horse antibiotics. Slides easily under the cv boot and nozzle is wide enough for the grease to come out.
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

randamonia
80-90 Mem No: 14035

Post by randamonia »

No play that I can feel. It happens so infrequent I can’t make out if corner affects it but I’m leaning towards right hand bend may bring it on.
CV joints have only got about 10k on them as I changed them all.
1987 Autohomes Komet 1.9 DG