Frustrating Hot Start issues

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Rascal
80-90 Mem No: 0

Frustrating Hot Start issues

Post by Rascal »

Iv had my 1.6td jx westi for a few years now and it's got a very annoying habit after long Journeys.. Motor runs beautifully and no other issues except occasionally after a long drive and. Stopping.. When I go to restart the engine I get nothing... No attempt to turn no relay click nothing. Yet if I put 12v to starter it starts immediately... At first I thought the agitator to the starter was dirty and was getting hot expanding etc but that's not the case.. Iv looked at the wiring diagram and I can't see any overheat protection in the circuits on a very rare occasion. Whilst driving the glow plug light will randomly come on... So im wondering if this is related... It can be very frustrating especially if you only stop to refuel.. And then can't restart... Iv currently got a means to easily power the starter to start the engine.if it does haooeb. But rather than having a bodge fix I'd like to get to the bottom of the issue.. I will check and re clean the connections. But I'm sure this isn't the case. It does have a Clifford alarm immobiliser fitted but I don't belive this to be the issue...

Rosie n' Jim

Re: Frustrating Hot Start issues

Post by Rosie n' Jim »

I've had this issue with an air cooled van. It was a common issue caused by voltage drop from ignition barrel to starter solinoid. It draws more current than you might think, especially when hot after a long drive. I fitted a relay activated by the crank wire, drawing high current from the battery connection on the solinoid. I believe a kit is available. Google 'T25 hot start relay kit'.
1982 Holdsworth poptop. 2L CU Aircooled.
1982 Danbury tintop Caravelle. 2L CU Aircooled.

The Ark
80-90 Mem No: 17641

Post by The Ark »

It’s common on old dubs, and is likely a worn connection in the starter switch, or the wiring itself. First step is to clean up any connections on the starter circuit that you can get to, including the battery terminals, and if that doesn’t fix it, fit a hot start relay as the above reply. It essentially does what you are doing running your temporary wire to the starter.

If you can get to the wires on the back of the ignition switch, run a jumper wire from the fat red wire to the red and black wire. If that turns the starter when the switch doesn’t, your switch is fooked.
1987 Single cab TDI

Rascal

Post by Rascal »

Tha ks I'll be testing and fitting one on my next day off