Paint for aluminium

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Paint for aluminium

Post by kentishvanman »

Looking for a paint for aluminium, preferably aerosol. Any suggestions please?
Alternatively can one use a paint for aluminium and then put an oil or acrylic or water  based paint over the top so as to obtain the colour required.
Thanks
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Paint for aluminium

Post by Mocki »

I’m not sure but i think you need a etch primer before painting aluminium , as with all painting, prep is the important bit
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

kentishvanman

Post by kentishvanman »

Mocki wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 16:52 I’m not sure but i think you need a etch primer before painting aluminium , as with all painting, prep is the important bit

I am hoping Combi Colour will work  'cos it has a range of colours and according to the web site it has built in primer. Have emailed Rustoleum to ask them. Going to clean with thinners and then rub down with fine abrasive; the aluminium not me.

Rosie n' Jim
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Rosie n' Jim »

I my youth I used to work at an aircraft respray company. After paint striping, the aluminium was scrubbed clean with an acid wash and fine wire wool. Then after drying and masking, sprayed with an acid etch primer. This was a very watery green coat that gave the surface a green hue. Then a standard two pack primer, no rubbing down between. Put whatever you like on top of that.
1982 Holdsworth poptop. 2L CU Aircooled.
1982 Danbury tintop Caravelle. 2L CU Aircooled.

kentishvanman

Post by kentishvanman »

Thanks for that.
I have obtained some etch[ing] primer and will use Hammerite over that. Experiments proving ok.
CombiColor do a larger range of colours but expensive. Black/white etc. available in small tins,and cheaper. All other colours too larger tin for my needs

t25adict

Post by t25adict »

worth doing a test on something ally first, not so much for the primer. More for the hammarite on top. I've found hammarite can sometimes reactivate primers that may not work with it.  I sure hammarite will have a technical page on their website.
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough

Rosie n' Jim

Post by Rosie n' Jim »

I realise you can't buy it in a  aerosol, but if you can use two pack primer, it will not be affected by any paint type. Alternatively, put the top coat on in several thin layers with several mi utes between each. This will reduce the likely hood of the thinners desolving the primer.
1982 Holdsworth poptop. 2L CU Aircooled.
1982 Danbury tintop Caravelle. 2L CU Aircooled.

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

You can find aerosol 1K etch/wash primer in autobody paint ranges. Like HB Body has a yellow tinted one for sure. I used it, works fine. Not sure if yoz can buy it in the UK

Roller applicable 2k is more common in boat coating, there are a lot of choices
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

cobblers
80-90 Mem No: 17450

Post by cobblers »

Hammerite is not a good paint for any application. It seems to have gained a good reputation over the years, but the formulation has changed since it's "glory days" and it is now just a strange, poorly performing paint that isn't compatible with most traditional automotive paints and primers. It's best avoided.

Aluminium forms a very hard oxide on it quite quickly (hence why it doesn't rust) but this hard oxide makes paint adhesion poor. You need an acid etch primer - it'll chemically etch into the surface, "roughing it up" on a microscopic level. You only need a very thin coat of this, then you can use whatever top coat you prefer.