Ignition control / amplifier module and wiring?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MatteT25
80-90 Mem No: 0

Ignition control / amplifier module and wiring?

Post by MatteT25 »

Good afternoon everyone,

I’ve just signed up as I’ve recently acquired my first T25 project and have come to a bit of a stop and would love some help to get it running.

Please don’t kick me off for saying this but I’ve been restoring and converting T4’s for a number of years but have now got a T25 which to be honest I love more already even though it’s not running!

It’s a 1984 (B Reg) T25 and is in very good condition with the chassis almost fully restored and hardly any rust on what’s left to do.

It came without an engine but I have a 1.9 DG waterboxer engine that I’ve put in. It’s been a bit of a hassle with the coolant pipes etc as what came with the engine didn’t seem to match up very well with what came with the van but I think it’s all pretty much done.

However, the engine wiring is proving tricky. I’ve connected near enough everything up but no spark at all… I’ve looked at other T25’s and seen they have a small black unit bolted by the wiring distribution box. I think this is an ignition amplifier/module which looks easy enough to buy from eBay or somewhere. However, I do not have the wiring that plugs into the module, or any idea where the other (engine) end would connect to.

I’m guessing the engine I have is a little later and has electronic ignition whereas the van and the loom that came with it doesn’t. The distributor on my engine has the plug on the side which I would think connects to the module but I’m just not sure.

Is anyone able to help point me in the right direction with what bit of wiring I would need (and where I would get it) and what it plugs in to. I’ve got a Haynes which helps but cannot find the wiring anywhere online.

Thank you one and all, I hope to be able to get the van all done and dusted by spring and put it back on the road.

Matt

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Ignition control / amplifier module and wiring?

Post by Aidan »

photos would help, sounds like you've a later engine trying to marry up to earlier cooling system you can post pictures pretty easily using imgur the black box with an i in it when you write a post

under the left side front seat there's a stamped plate with the type number on it that will tell us which engine was fitted originally, you can see it from under the seat at the front and pop your phone in the space and photograph it

or if the white sticker is still present, usually knee high under steering wheel that will have a bunch of information on what the van was originally

see Syncrosport website for wiring diagrams and other useful downloads also available elsewhere like Sir Adventure's site

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Ignition control / amplifier module and wiring?

Post by R0B »

2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"