Replacement early sliding door lock barrel?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nikalele
80-90 Mem No: 9209

Replacement early sliding door lock barrel?

Post by nikalele »

Hi,

Does anyone know where to find a replacement early sliding door lock barrel and have it matched to my existing key?

I currently have the drivers door, boot and ignition barrel working on the same key. The passengers barrel is seized solid, even after soaking in diesel for a month and various attempts to free it, it wont budge. Brickwerks offer a replacement barrel keyed to that of the original for the cab door but not the slider (as far as I can tell).

All I need now to find now is the sliding door to match (currently its keyed to a different key, which I do not have). I know I could just get a new handle and key for the slider but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Any help much appreciated, 

Cheers

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Re: Replacement early sliding door lock barrel?

Post by Robsey »

If you have a working lock barrel, you can get wafers matched to your key.

There used to be a few places that sold wafers based upon the four-digit number stamped on your tailgate lock barrel.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

Rosie n' Jim
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Rosie n' Jim »

I don't think k you can remove the barrel without the correct key in it. Unless someone knows a trick?
1982 Holdsworth poptop. 2L CU Aircooled.
1982 Danbury tintop Caravelle. 2L CU Aircooled.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

depends how seized the tumblers are, if you can get a key in then generally you can remove the barrel, sliding door locks are usually the most seized and can often be opened with any key or just a screwdriver as the tumblers seize in the correct key, i.e. open position, often hardest bit is undoing the cylinder retaining grub screw as they corrode badly and crumble when you offer the screwdriver to them, but can be carefully drilled out, re-tapped slightly bigger thread and grub screw made to fit with the thin end that allows the cylinder to rotate, I've done it a couple of times using old imperial brass machine screws

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Easier to get the new alternative handle that Brickwerks have, the right side handle can be used for the left side, details on their shop site.Having another key isnt a big problem as long as they dont look the same. 
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon