T25 - no start

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

RichK213
80-90 Mem No: 17598

T25 - no start

Post by RichK213 »

:cry:
So my van is sitting ready to go into storage since its mot in Nov, I have been starting it each week and fires up first time...until yesterday

Took a long time to start, and when putting my foot down to rev, it bogged down. Checked the basics, fuel is in the Carb and you can see a squirt of fuel when the pedal is pressed.
Swapped out the car for a rebuilt one, and took a long time to start, but it did run. Tried this morning and it didn't start. Poured some fuel down the carb and it fired up no bother and ran for about 5 mins then died. Since then it will only fire up with some fuel poured down the carb, but will die quickly.
I have put fresh fuel in, checked spark, checked the fuel pump, all seem fine. It seems fuel related!
Weird that there is fuel in the float bowl, and it's being squirted into the carb as well. Never had this before

Thanks

PeteandNikki
80-90 Mem No: 13990

Re: T25 - no start

Post by PeteandNikki »

Idle shut-off valve?

RichK213

Post by RichK213 »

It's clicking, suggesting it's doing something. Worth a shot though!

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Check the fuel pump and its push rod .
The push rod needs to be 100mm long , it maybe pumping but not enough
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

The Ark
80-90 Mem No: 17641

Post by The Ark »

It’s a long shot, but I had a similar thing once with a van that had a blockage, or rather a partial blockage in the return line to the tank. If you pull the return pipe off at the carb, and you get a pressurised squirt, that’s likely the problem.

It’s also worth trying running it from a fuel can, just to rule out a problem with the tank or lines.

When you say there is fuel in the bowl, have you actually took the top of the carb and checked after it’s conked out?
1987 Single cab TDI

RichK213

Post by RichK213 »

hi all, few updates after working on the van for far too many days.  I have had moderate success in replacing the carb with a rebuilt on, but still bogged down.  i ended up rebuilding my old one, but similar story.
after removing it an inspecting it for what feels like the hundredth time, i found that the manifold spacer was slightly damaged, and so were the gaskets (gaskets were also quite wet from all the wd40 i was spraying to find leaks). i also found the new choke pull down unit was slightly leaking.
i replaced the vac unit with a spare old one, new gaskets on the manifold spacer, and cleaned the spark plugs.  its now revving fine, and sounding way better than it has ever done

thanks for the help all :D