Radius Rod Measurement

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

BigBlueVan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Radius Rod Measurement

Post by BigBlueVan »

Hi All,

Refitting some new radius rods and have hit a stumbling block.

I took measurements as per the Bentley guide of the thread length from the back nut to end of thread.. however the new radius rods I have clearly have a much longer thread length making my noted measurement useless .
(E D I T: To expand on this the overall length of the rod is the same but the threads cut onto the shaft cover more of the overall shaft length.)

I should have also taken the measurement from the back nut to where the rod enters the lower control arm.
(Later type screw in rod)

Does anyone have a typical value of this to get me somewhere near for now. I'm expecting between 320-350mm.

Thanks, Chris.
Last edited by BigBlueVan on 22 Dec 2023, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Radius Rod Measurement

Post by Aidan »

8 -12mm free thread at the front ? NB this was noted on Syncros recently when working on my van, but I'd expect 2wd to be similar, and with original rods and original nuts, but if the length of yours is the same, just the amount of thread is different, then you could go with this till you can check the caster angle, cheap gauge on Ebay less than a tenner, most garages don't seem to understand caster set up

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Re: Radius Rod Measurement

Post by ZsZ »

You need to do an alignment anyways IMO so make them equal to be able to drive a few miles to the shop.
(Or do it yourself as the repair manual describes with a digital protractor instead of the special tool)
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th