Early & Late Fuel level senders

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

THE KESZTHELY KID
80-90 Mem No: 4

Early & Late Fuel level senders

Post by THE KESZTHELY KID »

Fellow Vanagonisti,

One of my winter projects is to make the fuel tank on Bezza, my 1980 Westy, cease leaking whenever I fill her up. :oops:
Going by her plastic fuel filler neck and reasonable looking tank I'll hazard an educated guess that they have been replaced in the recent past. 
Nevertheless i was reading on the Gowesty.com website Fuel Tanks & Level Senders: An Investigation – GoWesty and wondered what the panel's opinions were with regards to fitting a later fuel level sender.

Many Thanks,
Rick 
1980 LHD T25 Westphalia Joker
1973 LHD Semi-auto Karmann Ghia Coupe.

2017 Renault Captur Automatic {Daily Driver}.

Air-Cooled T25's Need Love too  :ok

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Early & Late Fuel level senders

Post by multisi »

When i bought my 82 Aircooled van in 1988 it already had the early tank and large metal filler neck replaced with the later tank and small neck plastic filler. When i scrapped the van i removed the tank sender and that was the original early version . Brickwerks have early and late senders based on chassis numbers . The early and late fuel tank year change isnt the same as the year of the senders changes. Early fuel tank was used up to august 1983 but the sender in the tank went to 86 . I would keep using an early type sender in your tank or if you do drop the tank and take it out have a look to see if it got replaced, it will have part numbers and a date stamp as well. Are you sure the tank itself has been replaced with a later style tank ? The later plastic filler necks can be fitted to the early tank with a conversion rubber.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

3cylinders
80-90 Mem No: 16794

Re: Early & Late Fuel level senders

Post by 3cylinders »

You might save some time by checking the breather / balance pipe unions are secure at the front of the tank, sometimes not fully inserted or are pulled loose when dropping the tank. You should be able to see the top of them by looking through the front wheel arch and across the chassis rail and if you have small a enough build, should be able to get an arm through there.

1991 1.9 DG Petrol Bus manual transmission