Help with Distributor Manual Points/Weber 34 Dat Carb set up

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Magic01
80-90 Mem No: 17554

Help with Distributor Manual Points/Weber 34 Dat Carb set up

Post by Magic01 »

Hello all,

I'm looking for some general input/advice on distributor set up coils and Weber carb.

Please bear with me as this is all a bit confusing to me and I'm still new to T25 ownership hence the request for general advice and possibly not the right terminologies etc...

So here goes....

When I purchased my van (details in signature) I thought it was a standard set up, however I have come to realise that it has a Weber 34 dat carb (original pancake inlet cover thingy) with manual points distributor and different coil.

So my question is why would someone swap out the original electric points and distributor/coil and would this be connected to the swapped carb for any reason? As far as I understand this is an inferior set up being manual points.

Are there any benefits in trying to swap it all back and if so what electric distributor set up would be required with the Weber carb, the whole vacuum element really confuses me? Some state double vacuum etc... so really just need a pointer to the correct one. I know the original part number was 025 905 205AE but is this still appropriate?

I know the answer can't be given in absolutes but would like to hear people's views and opinions or find out if anyone has the same set up etc...

The van starts and runs (could be smoother) so no immediate issues as such but Ideally I'd like the van back to as original as possible/the best set up, accepting that I will have to stick with the Weber carb certainly for now.

Apologies for the rambling topic but any help/input gratefully received
Thanks
Paul
1987, Tin top, 1.9DG wbx, 5 speed, Weber 34 DAT Carb