stalling.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

HighgateT25
80-90 Mem No: 0

stalling.

Post by HighgateT25 »

Hi All,

I bought a 1981 T25 Campervan in the summer. It wasn’t running the greatest but seemed to just be a carb issue. It just kept stalling at every stop. Also on higher revs it does a light backfire/popping sound. I brought it to Beetlemania in Musewell hill in London. They said the timing was out and the carbs were unbalanced. There was a few vacuum leaks which were fixed and They also said the carb on the right wasn’t performing well and recommended switching to a single carb setup.

They fixed the stalling issue temporarily but the popping/backfire, particularly between 3rd and 4th never left. I drove it to Paris and back. It made it (albeit at a top speed of 40mph on the flat)

Now the van is stalling again at every stop. I’m getting terrible fuel mileage and the popping sound is still there. I have been advised by a few garages now to switch to a single carb set up. Should I do this? Is the twin Solex carbs on it now stock?Image

Also unrelated (maybe) from the fuel, there was smoke coming in through the vents on the dash when I drove it the long distance. Could this be transmission fluid leaking and burning off as it only happened when the van was hot from driving.
1981 T25 Campervan 2.0 Aircooled

cotswoldstony
New user
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: stalling.

Post by cotswoldstony »

Hi, I would  check the tappets then do a compression test to check the cylinders are up and even first.