Water in oil sump.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

GavW
80-90 Mem No: 17515

Water in oil sump.

Post by GavW »

Hello. We inherited my wife's late dad's 1989 T25 1.9 DG.
Unfortunately on Sunday it lost all power and wouldn't keep running. There was no water in the lower coolant tank.
I checked the oil, seemed ok. Topped water up and when restarted loads of white smoke spewed from the exhaust.
I got the van recovered same day and checked oil and water again and the dipstick is just covered in sludge and there is no water in either tank.
Two questions, 1,is the engine rescuable, best guesses welcome...
2, does anyone know of anyone near Keighley, West Yorkshire who could help with this. I've done basic stuff, oil change, filters but this beyond my ken..

Sorry for the longish read.
Absolutely gutted at the moment.

Cheers,
Gav.
1989 T25 DG home conversion.

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Re: Water in oil sump.

Post by Stesaw »

You're probably looking at least a top end rebuild for the engine, as for what has failed.. could be a few things.  
I'd speak to ajsimmo on here, hes one of the resident engine builders, maybe he could give you an idea for costs but with most things like this without having it infront of you that's difficult to say. Its a job that can snowball and might be worth just getting a recon engine fitted, at least then you have a recon unit with warranty.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Your engine may need stripping down to check for internal damage on cases, cam and crankshaft before any proper decisions or suggestions can be passed.
For now l suggest you drain sump and see what the contents is like. Then remove all spark plugs and gently turn over engine clockwise using a spanner on the crank pulley. Check if any coolant is sitting on top of the pistons. Hence white smoke. Could be head stud failure.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

GavW

Post by GavW »

Stesaw wrote: 31 Oct 2023, 18:49 You're probably looking at least a top end rebuild for the engine, as for what has failed.. could be a few things.  
I'd speak to ajsimmo on here, hes one of the resident engine builders, maybe he could give you an idea for costs but with most things like this without having it infront of you that's difficult to say. Its a job that can snowball and might be worth just getting a recon engine fitted, at least then you have a recon unit with warranty.

Thanks for the reply. I spoke to someone after posting this who helps convert T5/6s who suggested the same thing. I've spoken to five or six garages who just don't want to look at it.
The people who used to MOT and service it are no longer in business 🙁

GavW

Post by GavW »

maxstu wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 20:15 Your engine may need stripping down to check for internal damage on cases, cam and crankshaft before any proper decisions or suggestions can be passed.
For now l suggest you drain sump and see what the contents is like. Then remove all spark plugs and gently turn over engine clockwise using a spanner on the crank pulley. Check if any coolant is sitting on top of the pistons. Hence white smoke. Could be head stud failure.

Hi. Thanks for this. I take it I'd be looking for bits of metal in the oil to see the if there is any damage?
Still struggling to find anyone to look at it..

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Real mechanics are hard to find nowadays. Technicians with laptops are a lot easier to find. Hence nobody wanting to help you.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Our engines are a bit notorious for head studs snapping if they haven't been looked after as they sit in the water jacket. Finding a garage to take that on will be few and far between as it's a job that will take a while and most places want quick turnarounds and nobody can be arsed with old vehicles with the risk of additional problems. Plus a lot of places now dont know what a carburetor is :lol:

As I said ajsimmo might be your man.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Cheers for the shout outs.
I'm afraid it sounds like a rebuild job, Gav. I can do it, but you'll need someone to take the engine out and refit it for you once done. Give me a call if you're needing help/advice.
07813 324365

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Post by mioba »

Eek

Sorry to hear OP, sounds like head gasket. Need to take head off at least and go from there.
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

mioba wrote: 04 Nov 2023, 09:29 Eek

Sorry to hear OP, sounds like head gasket. Need to take head off at least and go from there.

Water boxers dont have a headgasket as such like an inline 4 engine etc.

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

GavW wrote: 02 Nov 2023, 08:52
maxstu wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 20:15 Your engine may need stripping down to check for internal damage on cases, cam and crankshaft before any proper decisions or suggestions can be passed.

Hi. Thanks for this. I take it I'd be looking for bits of metal in the oil to see the if there is any damage?
Still struggling to find anyone to look at it..

Firstly, to see if coolant has filled the sump. If so, then it could be a dislodged cylinder sleeve caused by a broken head stud(s) or failure from two seals, one a the top of the cylinder sleeve and one a the bottom.

I suspect it is unlikely you will find a professional willing to visit your address. Just not the done thing nowadays. Most want to flog a recon instead. Perhap a forum member nearby would be willing to visit you?

However, every journey starts with a single step......

Do you have a service history for this engine? Is it original? What is it's mileage? How are your mechanical skills? Do you have a driveway? Spanners and a trolley jack?

From here it may be your first steps into a home rebuild. There are a few of us on this forum willing to help you work through dismantling and rebuilding. It is very rewarding. But reckon spending up to a grand to do a proper job.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Post by tobydog »

maxstu wrote: 04 Nov 2023, 20:55
GavW wrote: 31 Oct 2023, 13:15 2, does anyone know of anyone near Keighley, West Yorkshire who could help with this. I've done basic stuff, oil change, filters but this beyond my ken..
How are your mechanical skills? Do you have a driveway? Spanners and a trolley jack?
GavW splained his situation to start with... :roll:
Knowledge is power
1970 CU

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

tobydog wrote: 04 Nov 2023, 21:22
GavW splained his situation to start with... :roll:

give it a rest chap, you're not helping with this kind of comment
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Post by tobydog »

OK mrhutch, you failed the comprehension test then as well as maxstu.pid.

He, GavW, says that he doesn'ts have the skills to do it himself. It's going to take a bit more than a few spanners and a trolley jack.

What's your agenda then? Apart from maxtu's naive attempt at a rebuild (do you remember the major bumsore sad joke?), what would you suggest?

Max and your mates, reap and sow has come to fruition.

Yep, I'll give it rest, so be it. Be careful what you wish for.

Bye, another one bites the dust. It's just not worth the mental effort and time, modeling and 3D printing parts, donating tools and making parts to help people out. Without a thankyou.

Knowledge is power
1970 CU

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Blimey, there's a lot more of this tone about these days - did I miss something? It used to be such a nice friendly place to hang out.

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran