Porsche Automatic Gearbox Conversion into my Caravelle

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Dueller
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Porsche Automatic Gearbox Conversion into my Caravelle

Post by Dueller »

Popped it all out yesterday and separated the box and engine

Turns out it's the gearbox seal that failed, the thick gunge I took for engine oil was in fact old gearbox fluid, stuff just won't come out easily. Need to drive it more and do a change again further down the line. The filter should manage it all I'm the meantime as it works its way round

So ordered up a new seal for this week, shame on the delay as came out/apart really easily this time, us being experts now 😑

This is what it should look like on one of my spare boxes, the steel sleeve comes off...somehow...from the input shaft, not just a simple push in like the manual box has or the original vw autobox

1989 Crewcab 1600TD JX - Gone to Romania
1989 Caravelle 1.9 AutoBox

Dueller

Post by Dueller »

No updates this week, still waiting for the seal I ordered, everything's taking too long by post these days

Hopefully see it tomorrow

Then more screaming trying to get the old one off no doubt

Dueller

Post by Dueller »

Didn't get my seal so still waiting

Good news is i thought id try my seal removal tool and it popped the old one straight off, bonus

Did consider taking the good one off of the spare box but as it pulls on the inner part decided not too, nearly did though!

So still waiting...

Dueller

Post by Dueller »

Got the new seal late Saturday so fitted it and bolted the engine and box back together

Slotted it under the van but had to get on with some other stuff so back at it later, should be driving by Thursday evening

Dueller

Post by Dueller »

Spent 3 hours on Valerie today bolting up the driveshafts and reconnecting the electrics, fuel and linkages

Shifter is slightly off, P has a touch of R so a bit odd, I'm using a combination of shims so will sort tomorrow

Also need to connect up the cooling system and add in the rear heater again as the T pieces snapped last time round on the feeds so will put that right

Struggled with the LH driveshaft, to fit you lie under the van, point it upwards 90' then drop it into the suspension axle, so outer first then inner. Was a swine to sort so am thinking it's a little short, probably 20mm. Problem for another day as all is good and the axles have good angles at 9.45 and 11.50 degrees

Dueller

Post by Dueller »

Nearly fkin ran myself over today, scared the crap out of me

Sorting the linkage and all appeared good, started it, and revved the engine in P, all was good. I was standing with the door open pushing the accelerator by hand to check the tension and gave it a hard rev, fker jumped backwards and it was only a few inches as still chocked and hand brake fully on.

Dived in and pushed the brake pedal but luckily Valerie had stopped moving as the revs went down

So after a cuppa I was back under sorting it out.

Found the linkage problem, the box wasn't in P when I was adjusting it, the eye had slipped off the guide peg as too much tension when working through the gears and I hadn't noticed it was in R, no wonder I couldn't find 1st gear.

All sorted now after some serious spanner work

Next problem is my coolant lines as the T piece had broke last time round so I'd got 2 new 16mm ones, that was the size of the hose I took off.

Turns out the branch off is a 12mm so my equal T was no good and it's bloody Wednesday and I've nearly ran myself over!!

So drilled out the T with a 13mm drill and will chemical metal it for fitment tomorrow, sorted

Needless to say the other T stays on, ugly and stained as it is

Dueller

Post by Dueller »

Meant to add I've the auxiliary heater at the back and the T pieces feed that so yours may be different

Just something else VW designed to catch us out

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

at least you found the problem whilst in the garage, wouldn't have been a good look revving at the lights and going backwards into something expensive :oops:

Dueller

Post by Dueller »

Very true bud, i was lucky that I'd closed the tailgate or it would have hit the garage door

Just shows you can't be too careful or experienced at stuff, it'll still find a way to remind you how dangerous it can be

Anyways, here's my sorted hose connector thanks to chemical metal, although it is plastic 😆

Dueller

Post by Dueller »

The past couple of days have been mainly sorting out other cars etc but today I got back on with sorting the cooling system out

Had a couple of leaks and had to buy some new clips too

Also had to remake the other T piece as the original had failed and was leaking, right swine of a job as access to the rusted clamp was limited

Anyways, we refitted the exhaust and topped the water up, ready for a blast tomorrow

bat
80-90 Mem No: 12385

Post by bat »

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but could these fittings not be replaced with a metal alternative? It should make them a lot less likely to fail,
Just thinking long-term for my van.
Regards Gary

Sheila's & Gary’s long-term project. A 1988 RHD diesel Syncro camper van.
1900 tdi ahu, on 235-70-R16 wheels & tires, & a few other mods
https://www.thebeast.blog 

Dueller

Post by Dueller »

I did look for metal but of course it rusts and this is 35 years after fitting, probably would have lasted longer if I hadnt disturbed them

I did find a copper one on ebay I nearly bought a pair of but glad I didn't in the end due to the sizing not being equal, in fairness they were hand made so he'd probably make them to spec for you

Dueller

Post by Dueller »

Been for a blast

It's just incredible to drive, the acceleration in 1 and 2 is manic

Still not certain the torque converter is working correctly as will only take top gear if I build towards it, putting my foot down causes slippage I think as the engine performs perfectly without load

Currently mulling over a manual conversion now as thinking my engine is too powerful but of course the box could just be worn although it functions well enough and I can enjoy the van

Will add in an autobox fluid conditioner and try that to see if it helps, can't keep changing autoboxes indefinitely as I now have 4 of them to play with, right fortune spent 😀

Next job is to repair my rear bumper, assemble the exhaust and a good valet, then more driving fun times 😆

Dueller

Post by Dueller »

Dueller wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 18:56 I did look for metal but of course it rusts and this is 35 years after fitting, probably would have lasted longer if I hadnt disturbed them

I did find a copper one on ebay I nearly bought a pair of but glad I didn't in the end due to the sizing not being equal, in fairness they were hand made so he'd probably make them to spec for you

Here we go...its brass not copper, not a bad price either I thought

bat
80-90 Mem No: 12385

Post by bat »

Thanks
Saved for future reference.
Regards Gary
Sheila's & Gary’s long-term project. A 1988 RHD diesel Syncro camper van.
1900 tdi ahu, on 235-70-R16 wheels & tires, & a few other mods
https://www.thebeast.blog