Radiator only works on full speed

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

hightoprob
80-90 Mem No: 17658

Radiator only works on full speed

Post by hightoprob »

Hi. I've been trying to get my rad fan working correctly on my 1983 1.9dg (previous owner had it running on a chicken switch using flex power cable from the leisure battery!).
It has the early style torpedo fuses. I've reconnected the cut cables and replaced the thermo switch on the rad. Disconnecting the thermo switch and bridging I can get the fan on what I think is full speed, but low speed won't work.
Using a multimeter I am getting 12v bridging one and 6v bridging the other on the thermoswitch. But when I check the cables to the radiator I get 12v between earth and the red/black cable (and the fan runs I think at full speed), but 0v between earth and the solid red cable.
Is there a relay somewhere between the thermoswitch and fan? I didn't think the early fans did.
What happens to the cables between the thermoswitch and the fan? (they're not the same so I guess there's something between them?)
If anyone has a wiring diagram with colour codes that would be very appreciated.
Thanks in advance :-)

hightoprob
80-90 Mem No: 17658

Re: Radiator only works on full speed

Post by hightoprob »

I figure it out... If anyone else sees this then, on a 1983 1.9wbx, there are two relays above the earth point crowns on passenger a pillar (above the fuse board). The shorter/front one is for the fan, I took it out and tested it and it's no good, they're about a fiver from brikwerks.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Well done for coming back with the solution. (some dont)
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Ditto and thanks, only test I do on my fan and thermostat if not used regularly is to run the engine and wait for the thermostat to open and fan to run
sometime later.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX