Electrolux fridge - not cooling

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Electrolux fridge - not cooling

Post by Mocki »

Sorry but the top of the flu should be more than too hot to touch, it should burn your fingers , if it’s not then is the flame burning well ?? The outer vent on mine used to be just bearable to touch with the finger tips . It is a exhaust afterall
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Porkscratching
80-90 Mem No: 17422

Post by Porkscratching »

Mocki wrote: 15 Oct 2023, 14:23 The outer vent on mine used to be just bearable to touch with the finger tips . It is a exhaust afterall

I'm not so sure about this. The heat from my Westy fridge has ample opportunity to disappate internally and the primary purpose of the flue is to evacuate the obnoxious gas's. The exterior plastic vent guard has never been more than warm to the touch.
I would consider it a design fault to expose the public to a hot exhaust vent.
Just my unqualified opinion.
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 JX
Time is precious, waste it wisely folks.

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

Mine had a metal vent cover . The vent cover was only 6 or 7 inches away from the “y” on the top of the flu .
Complete Electrolux flu
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Same as this. Mine used to also get pretty warm before I installed my compressor fridge.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

Yep that’s the one …….
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Whereas my 122 barely warmed the outer flue cover, but cooled effectively. Maybe there was a heat escape elsewhere? It was a homebrew conversion after all…
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

Bison535
80-90 Mem No: 15671

Post by Bison535 »

Hi guys, Porkscratchings asked my location, well, I’m now in Gibraltar. Earlier in the posts it mentions ‘quality of gas’, the last filling I did was in Hereford UK, however I usually fill in France, Spain or Portugal ! Maybe there is a ‘quality issue’, but I’m doubtful because the hob burners work well and the fridge flue does get very hot.
I agree with Mokie’s post, my external flue vent is a plastic hood which allows CO2 exhaust gases to vent externally and only gets warm to touch and exudes a dribble of condensation when in operation. The top of the Tee piece connects to a short stainless steel flexible tube which exits the van wall underneath the plastic hood.
Because my fridge is a Model RM184 it does not have a loose baffle as has Roger T’s fridge who kindly posted pics.
Not cooling on gas as it used to still remains a mystery???
Bill

Porkscratching

Post by Porkscratching »

Hi Bill, I mentioned the quality of gas as it would appear to produce a film of soot over prolonged use and wouldn't noticeably effect the hob and likewise anicdotily vehicles running on the stuff getting slightly inferior distance returns.
It's of no consequence to you as your chimney is soot free.

Having never been to Gibraltar can you get Autogas on the rock? I ask because maybe it's like ROB has suggested and time to consider a compressor unit.
Although I haven't fitted it yet I bought one earlier in the year so as to save the precious gas for the hob.

I'm out of ideas but wish you good luck.
Regards, Max.
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 JX

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Post by lefty67 »

Could it be anything to do with your ventilation. I had a similar problem a few years ago in France, turns out I had blocked off a vent on the side of cupboard the fridge was in. Only realised the next time I went camping and removed the offending article, a shopping bag.
The van i have now has a couple of computer fans fitted although I have changed to a compressor fridge, much better.
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

blouisp56
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by blouisp56 »

Hey Bison,
 It sounds like your Electrolux fridge is not cooling properly when running on gas. Even after cleaning the burner and fins and trying to reset it by turning it upside down, it's still not getting cold on gas.
 Here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:
  1. Check Gas Supply: Ensure there's a proper gas supply to the fridge and the gas is turned on.
  2. Inspect Gas Burner: Double-check the gas burner for any blockages or obstructions that might be affecting its performance.
  3. Check Gas Pressure: Make sure the gas pressure is within the recommended range for the fridge. Too low or too high pressure can impact cooling.
  4. Inspect Gas Ignition: Ensure the gas ignites properly and stays lit. If not, there might be an issue with the ignition system.
  5. Check for Leaks: Look for any gas leaks around the fridge or in the gas line. Safety is crucial.
  6. Thermocouple: Check the thermocouple (safety device) that controls the gas flow. It might need cleaning or replacement.
If you're not comfortable doing these checks yourself, consider reaching out to a professional technician who can diagnose and fix the issue for you.
 Best of luck!
Learn how solar panels can reduce your energy costs and environmental impact

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Post by mioba »

Jet needs replacing I say.
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love

Bison535

Post by Bison535 »

Firstly, thanks to all responders for your thoughts and practical suggestions on how to resolve my fridge problem.
I have yet again removed the fridge, it’s burner unit and double checked the brass jet orifice ( I boiled it for a while to dislodge any possible obstruction!) and when viewed in darkness with a torch the orifice is perfectly clear to see through.

Reassembled, refitted fridge and initially plugged into 220v mains power; fridge cooling unit became icy within 8hrs, wonderful!
Switched over to gas. Burner lit very easily and I could observe the ‘spark’ from my new igniter unit until the gas lit ( with a small boom sound ) and a blue flame could be seen through the observation spy tube.
Flue soon became quite hot to touch so I left it running on gas overnight.
Next day ( to my disappointment 😩) the fridge was almost ambient temperature!

It used to work on gas very well, so I still can’t understand what has changed?

I have not been able to find a new brass jet, Brickwerks don’t stock them.
Gas pressure I have not been able to check.
Thermocouple - Well, if it works on 220v that must be ok !?!
Plenty of airflow around fridge, i fitted a computer fan for blowing up through the rear fins.
The problem remains! As does the frustration 😩Image

Porkscratching

Post by Porkscratching »

Hello Bill, where abouts are you based as I have a spare working fridge you can have. It came out of a Westy so all the screw holes should marry up. I'm based in the Midlands (CV31).
I'm hoping to hit the road Sunday afternoon (Nov 5) and go to Shropshire via the Worcester area if this helps.

Regards, Max.
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 JX

Bison535

Post by Bison535 »

Hi Max, a very kind offer, however, I live in Gibraltar! I traveled in UK this summer but returned to Gibraltar in September
Kind regards
Bill

Porkscratching

Post by Porkscratching »

Hi Bill, I've had a good look on Dometic and our usual suspects; CVC and Bricky with no luck for a gas jet. Dometic seem to do the whole assembly for an arm and a leg.
If it's still a problem next year get in touch and we'll hook up as the offer stands. In fact by then you should have the choice of two!

If you get the blighter going be sure to let us know.
Regards, Max.
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 JX