Buzzing dash

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CoalMarx
80-90 Mem No: 17539

Buzzing dash

Post by CoalMarx »

Can anyone help me with this problem? Its been a while now - a buzzing noise from the dash and flashing oil light. It used to be intermittent and then became pretty much constant. If you depress the clutch and freewheel the buzzer stops.

Its my 1.7 diesel, which had been stood for two or three years before getting it back on the road. It had an oil change and new filter (the old oil was like treacle apparently) and ran down to Manchester from Newcastle and again to Norfolk. Looking on facebook there was something about this maybe being due to an oil filter without a non-return valve so i bought a Mahle filter based on the thread and that has now gone in along with new oil. Did i get the wrong filter maybe? Its pretty loud and annoying although admittedly once you're up to 60 it pales into the background :)

TIA

Dave
1989 1.7 Diesel 5 speed.

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Buzzing dash

Post by Mocki »

Low oil pressure warning ……. Oil pump is knackered , get the oil pressure checked

Occasionally it’s caused by an electrical fault , but from your description it’s working as it should .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

What oil was put in it? Some garages have a one-type-fits-all approach, especially with diesels. It might have a 5w30 or similar in. I'd say put a 15w50 semi-synth in, and also make sure the oil cooler/ interwarmer isn't bypassed.
Then check it's got the right high pressure switch installed - you want the 0.9bar one, not the 1.8bar fitted to the WBX.
If that fixes it, great. If not, it looks like genuinely low oil pressure which indicates that it's knackered (perhaps following the previous oil being like treacle?).

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

CoalMarx
80-90 Mem No: 17539

Post by CoalMarx »

Thanks to both of you for the advice. I'll ask my dad to go through these suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

1989 1.7 Diesel 5 speed.