Gti conversion

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Raynsford5
80-90 Mem No: 0

Gti conversion

Post by Raynsford5 »

Hi all I'm new to all this and would love some good advice, we have bought a lovely 1980 t25 air cooled was previously a diesel but I am planning on the golf engine conversion, I have seen a few old posts on here but nothing recently so a couple of questions if anybody is kind enough to help or point me in the right direction.
1. I have an AWG engine is this suitable or does it need to be the AGG (also what is the difference?)
2. I'd love to shoe horn an automatic box in so does anybody know what would fit or would work on the golf engine.
3. the van was changed by previous owner from diesel to petrol so I think I have the plumbing in place from front to back
As I said if anybody responds I will have many more questions 
Thanks
T25 1700cc moonraker
If I work on it it ain't working

Dueller

Re: Gti conversion

Post by Dueller »

I've a bay window with a Golf conversion that I'm having to break, same bolt pattern etc

Was done by Allan Dawes back in the 90's, a trike engineer that sold a complete kit in Volksworld

The conversion kit fits all vw 4 cylinder blocks, petrol and diesel, up to the PD engines so all mk1 2 and 3 GTIs etc, not vr6 though. Will take a mk3 golf tdi, same engine fitted to vw sharan/ford galaxy up to the early 00's

Engine is a 1.8 with a weber carb, bought new at time of fitment, I've pulled the sump and Rocker covers off and cleaned it up so you can drink tea out of it, starts and runs etc off one wire to the coil

So I've a full running conversion with a 6 rib gearbox for sale if interested

Get in touch if you want to chat as I've done a few of these into Aircooled vws

Cheers

Sean 07886292467

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
1989 Crewcab 1600TD JX - Gone to Romania
1989 Caravelle 1.9 AutoBox

Dueller

Re: Gti conversion

Post by Dueller »

And I'd forget the automatic option, stay manual

Have a look at my Mondeo install thread

Cost is a real issue and parts are simply not forthcoming from the USA so not worth investing into

I'm doing a porsche flip box and costs are scary, last chance auto then I'm going manual

1989 Crewcab 1600TD JX - Gone to Romania
1989 Caravelle 1.9 AutoBox