Diesel Injector pump leak jx

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Cecil
80-90 Mem No: 0

Diesel Injector pump leak jx

Post by Cecil »

I have a fuel leak that is dripping off the bottom of the support bracket on the end of the injection pump just to the right of the bolt head. I have loosened the 4 pipe unions and put a 14 mm spanner on the stubs behind but they are all tight. Also I put a spanner on the timing hole plug and that is tight!  I cannot see exactly where the leak is originating  from but it seems to be at the very end of the injection pump and possibly dribbling down between the end of the pump and the bracket bolted on the end.All the injection pipes and the leak off pipes are dry and I am confident they are not  leaking.
Short of removing the bracket to get a better look ,which I am reluctant to do as we are away in the van at the moment  has anyone got any suggestions as to where it may be leaking from? Is it likely the pump body is cracked?How are those stubs sealed into the end of the injector pump? 
Thanks in anticipation. 

My image is upside down i am afraid !
That is the turbo oil feed pipe at the edge of the image( to help you understand the image!)
Image9

Bryce
80-90 Mem No: 17419

Re: Diesel Injector pump leak jx

Post by Bryce »

I has same issue and it turned out to the pump body gasket itself so had to go for a rebuild.
Worth checking it's not coming from the under lda arm, you can get replacement seal for that for a couple of quid and it's a 5 min job.
1987 1.6td hightop

Bryce

Post by Bryce »

if it is that and your away you can jam an o ring on top of old gasket to get you home.
1987 1.6td hightop

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

Thanks for reply. It’s not the LDA seal, I have had that leak in the past so I know what a leak there looks like !

hubcap61
80-90 Mem No: 16853

Post by hubcap61 »

Possibly the head seal O ring. Common leak on Bosch pumps. Not a difficult job ( with pump off engine tho) . Had to replace one on a friends 300 tdi Discovery.
Number 29 in diagram. ( diagram just for illustration only, most Bosch pumps are similar) . Image
1984 Caravelle 1.9 DG 34 DAT
2002 Audi TT 225 BAM.

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

Thanks hubcap61 , that gives me a bit of hope of being able to fix it.

hubcap61
80-90 Mem No: 16853

Post by hubcap61 »

VW ALH TDI injection pump head seal removal and install - YouTube

video gives you an idea on how to go about it. 
you can get a seal kit with the long bolt included. 
1984 Caravelle 1.9 DG 34 DAT
2002 Audi TT 225 BAM.

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

I had watched that video but I have had a closer look with the help of a mirror and I think the leak is actually from the  3 sided “bung ?” In the end of the pump. So now i need to figure out  if that can simply be taken out and it’s seal or washer replaced , but I am thinking that the 3 sided nut is trying to warn me not to !Image

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

Update

Completed our holiday in Derbyshire with frequent checks to see that the leak was not getting any worse.
Once home i made a card pattern of the 3 sided “nut” and used a dremmel with a grindstone to modify a 15/16 inch socket. Having done a fair bit of Googling i was happy it was ok to remove the head plug so first of all i cleaned the area with fuel and a paintbrush then i removed the timing access plug thinking it would avoid suction when removing the main plug.Undone the 3 sided plug ,cleaned the plug and the area where the plug goes in, put the new o ring on the plug and smeared it with oil,i used a viton one! ( 30 mm inside diameter x 2.5 mm) and refitted the plug followed by the timing access plug. Bled the air out by slackening the injector pipes and cranking the engine and now i am glad to say the leak is fixed.
Last edited by Cecil on 01 Oct 2023, 06:55, edited 13 times in total.

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

hubcap61 wrote: 07 Sep 2023, 07:56 VW ALH TDI injection pump head seal removal and install - YouTube

video gives you an idea on how to go about it.
you can get a seal kit with the long bolt included.

My issue was not the head seal but while I was Googling I found a warning that mechanical pumps as apposed to electrically controlled contain 2 extra small springs that would be displaced if the in situ method was attempted !

Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Nice work, so your leak was from the where you fit the dial indicator to set the timing? I thought when you mentioned three sided nut it was the triangle looking nut on the side of the pump.
I wasn't brave enough to start disassembling my pump :lol:
1987 1.6td hightop

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

Bryce wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 20:30 Nice work, so your leak was from the where you fit the dial indicator to set the timing? I thought when you mentioned three sided nut it was the triangle looking nut on the side of the pump.
I wasn't brave enough to start disassembling my pump :lol:

It was the o ring for the large 3 sided “nut” located on the end of the pump between the outlet pipes , luckily an easy fix .