Oil leaking, probably from around the injectors

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kernelpanic
80-90 Mem No: 0

Oil leaking, probably from around the injectors

Post by kernelpanic »

Hi everyone!
First to my ride: It'sa VW T3 from October 1982, initialy had a water cooled 50HP engine, got swapped out for a 70HP one.

The past days I noticed that it's leaking oil while driving (stand still it seems not to loose anything) and I struggle to pinpoint where the leak is coming from.

Underneath the oilpan is pretty much wet on the entire surface, as well as the back wall of the motor (facing the rear of the car). So I opened up the motor housing and it looks like it's leaking from the top. There are puddles forming there. Now I think those puddles are only partially oil, I had a bit of a shaky water refill, so looks like parts of it is just spilled coolant. But parts of it definitely is oil when sogging it up.

But I cannot really tell where it's leaking from, I will try to add some pictures.

Around the injectors are also small puddles and everything in that area seems oily.

Thanks a lot for any advice or things I should try! Stranded 100km from the next civilisation, fun :D

https://imgur.com/r4jLIYV
VW T3 1982, 51kW 70HP Turbo Diesel motor with 4-gear shift (Not original engine), custom build.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Oil leaking, probably from around the injectors

Post by R0B »

2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

Usually the rubber hoses are leaking. Worth changing them first.
Recent topic:
viewtopic.php?t=179061
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

pleasestartnow
80-90 Mem No: 11015

Post by pleasestartnow »

I had a leak for ages that i always thought was oil and similar to you the underside of the oil sump, thought it was leaking around the dipstick but it was actually coolant from a pipe where the clip wasn't positioned correctly, causing the pipe to be slightly askew where coolant could drip out when running. So maybe double check all the clips and where the pipes are connected . viewtopic.php?t=178750

Around the injectors, can you see the leak in action when the van is running?, might help identify which of the hoses is leaking? Are all the injectors tight?
1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D

kernelpanic
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by kernelpanic »

ZsZ wrote: 18 Aug 2023, 11:52 Usually the rubber hoses are leaking. Worth changing them first.
Recent topic:
viewtopic.php?t=179061

Thanks for the reply! Sorry for the late response, thought I'd get an email notification if someone responds 😅

It looks like the leak is actually Diesel - yes. It could ve the return pipes, but it's more looking like it's dripping onto the pipes from the triangle thing above them (I think it's the mixture control arm?)

Probably will have it be checked by a mechanic in Germany, I dont trust myself too much with the motor haha
VW T3 1982, 51kW 70HP Turbo Diesel motor with 4-gear shift (Not original engine), custom build.

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

kernelpanic wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 06:20
ZsZ wrote: 18 Aug 2023, 11:52 Usually the rubber hoses are leaking. Worth changing them first.
Recent topic:
viewtopic.php?t=179061

Thanks for the reply! Sorry for the late response, thought I'd get an email notification if someone responds 😅

It looks like the leak is actually Diesel - yes. It could ve the return pipes, but it's more looking like it's dripping onto the pipes from the triangle thing above them (I think it's the mixture control arm?)

Probably will have it be checked by a mechanic in Germany, I dont trust myself too much with the motor haha

The LDA shaft seal also can be a culprit.
You might can replace yourself it is easy, but usually other seals and O-rings are hardened too so a full pump rebuild is the solution.

The seal:
https://brickwerks.co.uk/product/t3-1-6 ... haft-seal/
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Post by mioba »

Diesel leal off pipes are a service item. Keep a check on them each year. With dry hands just rub them and check your hands - oily look, they leak.
They should be changed every year.
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love