revamp/service of fuel filler cap

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

revamp/service of fuel filler cap

Post by Jim San »

My filler cap weeps a bit of fuel - not dripping, just enough to look wet from time to time. (and not after its been raining for the smart sesra out there).

I saw somewhere a while ago (can't rememeber where) that the fuel cap can be serviced to replace seals etc

Any leads on the kit / supplier. Ta
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: revamp/service of fuel filler cap

Post by Aidan »

have you stripped it down - you can reverse the rubber sealing ring and take the opportunity to remove the spider nests and otehre detritus that normally lives there, it is simple to do just push out the pin that holds the assembly together at the bottom of the cap, keep it in order as you remove each part, I have a used one here if you want to take a look, there's often corrosion of the steel filler neck top which could be the issue and there could be wear of the plastic cap locking part or it could be that it has been apart before and not reassembled correctly

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Re: revamp/service of fuel filler cap

Post by Jim San »

Cheers Aidan, I'll strip it and have a look - after i've sorted my drivers door lock! I have a few issues going on with it - it was seized and the barrel is badly corroded - have a newish barrel but the wafers aren't behaving and i ended up upsetting them on the bench :evil: spent time getting them back in order but they now catch in the handle - i think the key is so worn.
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'