Aircooled running issues

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

DavidHoldsworthVilla
80-90 Mem No: 0

Aircooled running issues

Post by DavidHoldsworthVilla »

Hi all,

I’ve recently inherited a Holdsworth Villa 1, 2.0 Aircooled.

It’s been stood for a while but with a fresh battery and fuel I’ve managed to get it started (eventually) it’ll start and tick over but when I try and move it it’ll cut out and won’t start again for half an hour or longer.

I’ve changed the fuel filter but before I throw anymore money at it I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what’s causing this? I’m guessing it’s a fuel/air mix issue?

I’ve zero experience with these engines so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies if this topic has already been covered.

Thanks

Rosie n' Jim

Re: Aircooled running issues

Post by Rosie n' Jim »

I don't know if 'a while' is months or years, but assuming it's had fuel with ethanol added, and fuel pipes that have had little attention,  that would be a good starting point.
Rubber fuel hose can break up and block jets and the float bowl valve. The fuel pump could also suffer damage if it's the original mechanical one.
To be safe fit a new pipe and filter after running some fuel through the tank to purge it. Brickwerks does a pipe kit that runs from tank to original pump. They also sell pipe and a 'T' piece that will feed the carbs. 
This should give a good clean fuel feed to the carbs,  but they are likely to also need a good clean. No special tools required, just patience! 
Both my vans suffered this way to start with. It's a job that needs completing in one go or you will find the issue re-occurs over and over.
​​​​​

1982 Holdsworth poptop. 2L CU Aircooled.
1982 Danbury tintop Caravelle. 2L CU Aircooled.

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Yep swap your fuel lines for ethanol rated line from brickwerks or other places.. dont get cheap Ebay stuff it will not end well.

If it's been sitting for a while (however long that is?)
I'd service the engine. So new oil+filter, plugs, leads, rotor arm and cap.

Probably a blocked carb jet causing it to bog and stall..
Has it got the two carbs or a single carb conversion?
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

DavidHoldsworthVilla

Post by DavidHoldsworthVilla »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, it’s been sitting since October last year and I’m unsure when it was last serviced.

It’s got twin Solex carbs, fuel pump looks new but I can’t be sure so should I just replace it to be on the safe side?

It starts first time but when it’s warm or you try and move it it’ll die and won’t start, I’ll come back to it the next day and it’s the same thing again.

Thanks

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

Air-Cooled woes.....

OK, so all of the above is good info.

For my 2 eurocents worth..

As you are getting it ready for use, I would suggest you go through the motor systematically. So, new mechanical fuel pump

On to the carburettors.

I would suggest you read this:

https://ratwell.com/technical/DualCarbs.html

There are 2 diaphragms per carb to change as they will be either leaking or hardened.

I get all my carb parts from:
https://www.carburateurwinkel.nl/conten ... delen.html

The site is in Dutch, but there is a language toggle at the top of the page.
Please do not be tempted to use a cheap (Empi) rebuild kit.. you will be disappointed..

Here is one of my carb rebuild videos:

Ignition next. I would suggest you update the ignition for a Powerspark (or other) as the distributor will be well worn, and the loom cracked and fragile. In the UK you can get them from  : https://simonbbc.com/

Here is a video:

If you want to see all the motor, then I suggest:

and just to feel good...

Air-Cooled Bliss.... 8)