1.9dg - turns over but won’t start

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

LaserFrennox
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by LaserFrennox »

Hi,

Recently took the plunge on an ‘85 caravelle as a good project. Had no issues starting up to get her into the garage to do other work and even got her out on a few shake down drives. All of a sudden I’m getting no start however.

Initially I suspected a flooded engine so took out the spark plugs, dried them out and went again but still no luck. Checked spark by grounding to the engine with no issue and fuel supply isn’t an issue either as there’s fuel coming through the intake when the throttle is pressed.

Any ideas as to what else the issue could be? Gonna try some easy start tomorrow incase it’s just running rich and is instantly wetting the spark plugs before it can get spark.

Cheers

SurfT25
80-90 Mem No: 17059

Re: 1.9dg - turns over but won’t start

Post by SurfT25 »

Do you push the pedal to the metal and release before you turn ignition?
This is to open the choke and has been mentioned by many on this forum.
If still not starting check the leads, distributer isn't loose and moved, check inside dizzy and clean connections,coil etc.
Good luck
Prepare for the worst but hope for the best

1984 1.9 DG WBX Autohomes hightop

Signchap

Post by Signchap »

I'm having the same problem. Mine failed to start 250 miles from home on day two of a holiday. 10 hours on a recovery truck, only for it to start first time the day after we got back. I'm going to replace all fuel lines, which I intended anyway, and the fuel pump, as well as distributor cap and rotor arm, plugs and leads. I suspect a weak fuel pump is to blame.

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

I wonder if this is E10 fuel gradually working its way through.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

Not long after buying my van, I had a similar issue.
Fuel flowing, and spark, but no running.

Mine turned out to be the coil - it was producing a weak spark, but to my untrained eye, a spark was present.

Pop a couple of teaspoons of fresh fuel direct into the throat of the carb. If not joy, systematically work through ignition aspects?
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Take the earth strap off the gearbox and wire wheel it.
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

LaserFrennox

Post by LaserFrennox »

Thanks for all the replies!

Checked the connections to the dizzy and all my spark connections with no resounding results. A mention of a fuel pump did get me thinking however. The van is parked on my drive which is at quite a steep angle. Could the time it was spent on the drive have drained the fuel from the engine back into the tank? If his is the case, could the fuel pump be too weak to pull enough fuel back to the carb when it’s trying to fight against gravity?

I’m gonna get a friend to give me a hand towing the van onto the fairly level road and see how I get on. A new fuel pump and lines may well be in this vans future.

Again, I appreciate all the responses.
Last edited by LaserFrennox on 02 Aug 2023, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

Did you get any joy putting a capful of fuel directly into the carb?
David.
the future is unwritten

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

LaserFrennox wrote: 02 Aug 2023, 14:22 Thanks for all the replies!

Checked the connections to the dizzy and all my spark connections with no resounding results. A mention of a fuel pump did get me thinking however. The van is parked on my drive which is at quite a steep angle. Could the time it was spent on the drive have drained the fuel from the engine back into the tank? If his is the case, could the fuel pump be too weak to pull enough fuel back to the carb when it’s trying to fight against gravity?

I’m gonna get a friend to give me a hand towing the van onto the fairly level road and see how I get on. A new fuel pump and lines may well be in this vans future.

Again, I appreciate all the responses.

Yes. If mine is stood for a week, the fuel runs back to the tank, and it takes a few turns to pull it back.
Pop some fuel directly into the carb. If it fires, you know it's a fuel related issue.

'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

LaserFrennox

Post by LaserFrennox »

jrt wrote: 02 Aug 2023, 19:41 Did you get any joy putting a capful of fuel directly into the carb?
David.

Yeah tried that this morning with no luck. Any recommendations on fuel pumps? I know it’s sacrilege to suggest an electric fuel pump but for where this van is going to go, I need reliability.

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

If it’s not firing with some fuel down the carb then you need to look at the electrical side.
David.
the future is unwritten

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Take the outlet pipe of the fuel pump off and crank the engine. If fuel comes out, the pump is ok & then you know it’s carb related….and I’m only mentioning this because I’ve done it, does it have any fuel in the fuel tank?
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

You can't beat a new mechanical pump. The valves wear out and leak back making starting ( filling the carb float bowl) difficult. Dont believe the pushrod length tales, it makes so little difference unless your pump is already marginal.