1.9 Digijet automatic starts then stalls

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JamesS
80-90 Mem No: 1

1.9 Digijet automatic starts then stalls

Post by JamesS »

I realise there are a lot of posts on similar topics - I've read most of them, but still struggling.

My van is a 1985 1.9l petrol Digijet with an automatic gearbox. It was running OK until my local garage did some work to fix an oil leak, and now neither the garage nor I can get it to run properly! The garage will take another look, but not for several weeks (I'm based in Norway, where everything basically stops in July). Right now it's on my driveway and I'd like to figure it out myself, if possible.

It starts nicely - no hesitation - and will continue to run as long as I keep my foot on the accelerator, but as soon as I take my foot off the pedal it stalls immediately.

I initially thought I could just shorten the accelerator cable to give it more revs at idle, but if I do that the throttle position switch doesn't work properly. I have adjusted the switch so it closes with the throttle as open as possible, but it's not enough to prevent the engine from stalling.

Am I just being thick? Is there an easy way to increase the idle speed without shortening the cable (so the throttle switch still works)?

Things I have tried/checked:
  • Adjusting the big screw on the throttle body. I think this should control the idle speed, but it doesn't seem to do much at all. For now, based on advice I've read online, I've screwed it right in then backed it off three full turns, which seems to be a common "default".
  • Tested the throttle position switch with a multi-meter. This seems OK: closed at tickover and full throttle; open in-between
  • Tested resistances at the air flow meter and the temp. sensor II. Both seem OK
  • The idle control valve does not buzz/vibrate with the ignition at the first position, and it's hard to tell if it's vibrating while the engine is running, but it does vibrate after the engine has stalled. I think it's working correctly, but not certain. I have taken it off and given it a clean anyway.
  • If I get someone to help me keep the revs up (so it keeps going), I can clearly notice a difference in engine note if I unplug any of the ICV, Temp. Sensor II or AFM. As the resistances are also roughly correct, I think these are probably working OK.
  • I tried bypassing the idle stabilisation unit by unplugging it and joining the two connectors. Doesn't seem to make any difference.
  • I've cleaned the contacts on the idle control unit (the little black box behind the lights). Not sure how to test this further, but no reason to suspect it (it was OK before).
  • I tried spraying starter fluid around the air intake hoses to check for a vacuum leak, but didn't notice any change in engine note. If I disconnect the ICV and spray fluid directly into the air intake, the engine speed increases. Not surprising, I guess, but maybe indicates a fuel supply issue?
  • I tried taking it for a "test drive", keeping the revs high enough to avoid stalling. The engine had very little power - I couldn't get above 40 km/h.
If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful.

Running in neutral on the driveway, the engine sounds OK with just a few extra revs. This feels like it should be an easy fix, although the lack of power when driving makes me think it might be more than just idle adjustment.

What else should I be checking?

Thank you! :-)

1985 Westfalia Joker high top. Petrol 1.9l DJ auto

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: 1.9 Digijet automatic starts then stalls

Post by maxstu »

Vacuum pipes connected to distributor must be tight fit. Earth wire on left engine block to firewall squeaky clean. Gearbox earth cable nice and shiny?

Go back to basics. What possibly could the garage touch to cause this fault? Or coincidence? Oil leaks? From where? Engine or diff or transmission?
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

I have just re-read a bit more from your original post.

No power above 40kph? Does the engine rev freely in neutral? It should go to about 4800rpm.
Have you checked timing? Have you check coil?
Are the spark plug leads on correct plugs?
Photo please.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Ok, so it was running fine before an oil leak was fixed?

So no point in changing any settings ? Settings need to be changed deliberately, if the garage had, they would know .

So looking at accidental changes , something dislodged during other work …. Where was the work carried out , where was the leak ?

Check for earth leads not reconnected, or damaged , dislodged … connections for switches and senders damaged, unplugged ect .
Don’t just look, unplug and reconnect each and every possibility , be methodical .

Vacuum pipes , including the brake servo pipe .

If this were a carb engine i would say look at the wiring for the idle cut off solenoid , but you dont have one .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

JamesS
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by JamesS »

Thanks for the replies - I appreciate the advice!

I’m on holiday at the moment, so not able to test immediately, but I’ll work through these suggestions once I’m back home and will report back.

As additional background, I recently moved to Norway and took my van to my new (to me) local garage. I asked them to check the alternator (the old one wasn’t charging properly) and also carry out a “Periodisk Kontroll”, which is the Norwegian equivalent of an MOT.

They replaced the alternator, but the van failed its MOT due to an oil leak from the engine. In my opinion, the leak was nothing excessive for a 40+ year old van, but the garage told me it needed fixing to pass.

I think they’ve replaced the push rod tubes and seals, as well as the cam cover gasket (my understanding of technical/mechanical Norwegian is limited right now, but I think this makes sense?).

I’m currently thinking that by messing with the push rods they might have done something that’s causing one or more valves to seal badly, leading to a compression leak. Is this plausible? I’ve never worked on this part of the engine before and have no first hand experience of what a compression leak looks/sounds like, but it seems possible from what I’ve read elsewhere.

Regarding your specific comments/suggestions:

- The earths are clean and connected. I can’t see anything obvious disconnected, but will check again.

- It revs freely in neutral and sounds OK. I don’t have a rev counter, so not sure about 4800 rpm, but it’s not noticeably “weak” when revving in neutral - just no power under load.

- The vacuum pipes to the distributor look new (the garage must have replaced them) and they do seem a little on the loose side. I noticed this last week and tried pinching them to improve the seal, but it made no difference. If this could actually be the cause of the problem, I’ll get some narrower pipes to make certain the seal is good.

- Spark plugs are connected correctly. The coil seems OK, but not sure how to test it in detail (I’ll do some reading on this). The equipment I need for checking the timing etc. is still in the UK, but hopefully arriving in a few weeks.

Thanks again for the tips and suggestions!
1985 Westfalia Joker high top. Petrol 1.9l DJ auto

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Post by tobydog »

maxstu wrote: 05 Jul 2023, 19:42 Does the engine rev freely in neutral? It should go to about 4800rpm.
I wouldn't rev the nuts off like that, causing everything to bounce and rattle around against it's self. Not good for the engine....
Knowledge is power
1970 CU