Carb issues.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MHines
80-90 Mem No: 0

Carb issues.

Post by MHines »

Hi everyone.

New to the forum with my second T25. First was a 88 LHD German import wondow van with the JX engine.

My current van is a 87 DG powered panel van which i have only had for a week so have been spending some time going through it.

The first issue is with the carb which is a pierburg 2e3.
The reason for starting to check it was to do with requireing the throttle to blipped for a minute or so on cold start otherwise it will just cut out, I do follow the correct procedure of depressing the throttle etc. Also when warm the idle is high when stationary but otherwise runs and drives perfectly.

I've done a fair bit of reading on here and checked a few things with the carb on the van and now have a reasonable understanding of how it works.

First obvious thing I've found it the choke flap is just floppy and doesn't appear to be connected to anything, what should this be connected to? I guess I'll find out when I remove the carb but can't find any info or see it with it fitted so just looking for a heads up.

Hopefully I can get this sorted and post up the results.

Many thanks.

Mark.

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Carb issues.

Post by maxstu »

Grab yourself a few beers and watch these two vids from Mr Aker. All you need to know is right here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=amnqCUSTnUw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VKD6ci8o06w
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Hinesy

Post by Hinesy »

Brilliant, thanks.

Just sat and watched through, very informative. Hopefully it will be something simple like the lever been detached. Great to know all the adjustments and settings too.

Plan to remove it this weekend and assess it.

Thanks again.
1987 Uncut Panel Van, 1.9 DG, 4 speed.

Hinesy

Post by Hinesy »

So, carb removed today to see what was going on. Found a couple of issues.

Regarding the cold start, the first issue was a faulty choke pull down unit and the other been a broken plastic cam that attaches operates the choke flap via the choke unit. Everywhere seems to be out of stock of pull down units at the moment and the cam doesn't seem to available at all, so will need to do some digging.

As you can see above I have hot melted the cam back together just for the purpose of testing everything works as it should. Gave the carb a quick clean and put it back together.

All the choke mechanism now works, 3mm gap at cold and opens as it warms up.

Regarding the fast idle I found that the idle control screw was wound right in, I'm guessing in an attempt to keep it running when cold, backed this off and it idles perfectly now.

Just need to find those 2 parts then will fully rebuild and setup properly and hopefully will be all good.

Any heads up on the above parts will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark.

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

Someone on here was making those little cams with a 3d printer. Have a search on the forums.
Serial Kombi have the units in stock.
David.
the future is unwritten

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Was it CJH perchance?
jrt wrote: 01 Jul 2023, 13:33 Someone on here was making those little cams with a 3d printer. Have a search on the forums.
Serial Kombi have the units in stock.
David.

2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Hinesy

Post by Hinesy »

After some searching and reading I believe it was CJH. I have dropped him a PM.

Serial combi have no availability of the pull down units. But it does also say delivery in 14 days so they are maybe ordering them from suppliers. I have emailed to check. Heritage also list one as 3 week delivery but @ £100!!!

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

A bit of a long shot. But have you tried looking on Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects for a 3D printer file?
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Hinesy

Post by Hinesy »

Had a look on there. Couldn't find anything.

I've sent a few emails to a couple of places, I'll see what I get back. Failing that I think I'll either have to look for a second hand carb to strip for parts or maybe look into changing the carb altogether for another brand.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

https://www.wagenteile.de/shop_de/12922 ... 29220.html
Apparently in stock.

A long while back now, CJH printed off many of the cams, and I understand some were put by for a rainy day by a few members on here. Perhaps someone still has one stashed away that they could spare?

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Post by tobydog »

If anyone has a 3D model of one, I'll print some off.
Knowledge is power
1970 CU

Hinesy

Post by Hinesy »

Quick update, I have found and ordered a new pull down unit (in the UK) and a full rebuild kit.

So just the cam to sort now, was advised today that they have been obsolete for 20years now so near on impossible to find a new one.

So 2 options, have one made, or try and find a second hand carb and hope it's still intact.

Hinesy

Post by Hinesy »

tobydog wrote: 03 Jul 2023, 09:00 If anyone has a 3D model of one, I'll print some off.

That would be great. Fingers crossed someone has the model.

Thanks, Mark

Hinesy

Post by Hinesy »

Bit of an update,

Took a bit of a punt this week on a pierburg 2e carb top that i found sale on ebay in the hope of scavenging the cam from it. It was from a Ford Sierra but took an educated guess that the cam would be the same, plus it was cheap so thought it worth the risk.

However it isn't, so dont make the same mistake. 🤣

It is very similar so may work but I won't know until I strip mine again and compare the hole where it fits with the Ford part.

Hinesy

Post by Hinesy »

Just an update on this.

All sorted now. I managed to find another carb with the same part number as mine.

I ordered a rebuild kit from brickwerks to go with the new pull down unit from Gower and Lee.

Stripped them both and rebuilt one good one from two using all the info online and James Akers video.

Found a few small issues during rebuild that I'd not noticed before hand. One been the lack of a cone filter in the fuel inlet, my heating element in the choke housing was broken and part of the choke mech was bent stopping the fast idle cam getting up onto the highest step.

All the above issues are now sorted, the carbs back on the van and runs like a dream. Choke sets with the correct gap and will start from cold with no throttle, steps down the cam as it should until choke comes off then idles well. Starts perfect from hot as well.

Better result than with my gearbox issue.

I'm going to rebuild my other carb to keep as a spare. No doubt it will come in handy at some point.

Thanks for all the help with this.

Mark