Engine bay wiring not connected to anything

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ckent
80-90 Mem No: 0

Engine bay wiring not connected to anything

Post by Ckent »

Hi - new owner of a 1987 tin top - 1.9 dg water cooled engine.
Giving it a good going over - service kit just arrived, coolant already flushed and replaced.
I have found a few unconnected wires in the engine bay - one is the oil pressure switch - which isn’t connected to anything (where does this connect to) also a round three pin connector appears from under the carb but isn’t connected to anything and also has a two spade yellow and blue/green connector that has nothing connected.
I know the previous owner swapped this engine into it - but I believe it was like for like.
Checking the manual I’m thinking the yellow should be going to the oil switch but grounding it doesn’t put the light on, and I don’t have continuity through the oil switch…
Any advice appreciated

Ckent

Re: Engine bay wiring not connected to anything

Post by Ckent »

Reading through other posts on here I am wondering if I have an earlier single switch engine fitted to a van that should have a two switch system - so I assume the brown wire needs to go to either the yellow or the blue/black.
When I switch the ignition on the oil light flicks on for a second then goes off (without me turning it over) is this normal?

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

The three pin round connector is likely the defunct VW TDC test connection, a grey outer cable with a rubberised connector .
Ignore it , its of no use , even if you have the test equipment

The two pin white spade connection with the yellow/red and blue/green is the oil pressure loom, yellow for the oil light from the switch between the push rods ( hidden under , well above the tin ware ) and the other sender is behind the water pump pulley if you have it . Both should have brown wires from the switches to the twin white connector .
Grounding the oil pressure sender connection that should go to the one behind the water pump will stop the buzzer if you dont have the sender .

The oil light should come on until the engine had started and the oil pressure is made
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Ckent

Post by Ckent »

Thanks for the reply - will take another look tomorrow to double check I don’t have the second switch - certainly haven’t had any buzzer going off so will double check it wasn’t bypassed with the engine swap - light only flashes for a second when the ignition lights are switched on - goes off immediately before the vans started

Ckent

Post by Ckent »

Correct on the three pin plug from under the carb - grey and round - many thanks!

Ckent

Post by Ckent »

Thanks for the reply - will take another look tomorrow to double check I don’t have the second switch - certainly haven’t had any buzzer going off so will double check it wasn’t bypassed with the engine swap - light only flashes for a second when the ignition lights are switched on - goes off immediately before the vans started

Ckent

Post by Ckent »

I do have a brown wire that’s grounded - removing it makes no difference to the oil light (ignition lights on but not running). I’ve also checked the switch - no continuity when not running - it’s blue and have a new one on the way - I’m hoping to find it bypassed somewhere so I can reinstate!

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

Ok, if you stand above the water pump pulley and look down the main engine pulley side of it , you should see if the other sender is there , its only on late wbx engines , earlies didnt have it . If its not there dont worry about it for now
The wire you need to connect to the sender you do have via a brown wire is the one that is not yellow in the two pin white spade connector coming out of the loom near the black box on the baulk head wall .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

Ckent

Post by Ckent »

So it should be where the bolt is I assume…Image

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

No, further down ……

Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

Ckent

Post by Ckent »

All plugged in now and seems to be working ok - just to check - the oil light flashes untill oil pressure is made yes?
This is immediate for me - just never know a flashing oil light before!

Ckent

Post by Ckent »

Sorry everyone - I’m lucky enough to still have the user handbook / instructions but didn’t read it!

If anyone wants or needs images from the handbook let me know and I will post pictures