Small bulbs for 1982 van

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

AlexDal
80-90 Mem No: 17527

Small bulbs for 1982 van

Post by AlexDal »

My oil light doesnt come on when turning on the ignition so trying to replace the bulb (it's very small with 2 small wires/prongs coming off it). Have looked everywhere online but no one these days seem to sell them - they're all in some kind of holder. Mines aren't like that. Any ideas?
1982 VWT25 pop top - Aircooled CU petrol 1970cc engine

KateLovesPurple
80-90 Mem No: 17577

Re: Small bulbs for 1982 van

Post by KateLovesPurple »

The oil light on your van is actually an LED not a bulb. Generally they don't fail, they can, but that would be down to an over voltage or over current situation. More likely to fail would be your flexible circuit board on the back of your dash or your possibly the sender or engine wiring. Plenty of info on here about dash board flexible circuit board faults.

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

Yes, all the warning bulbs are LEDs.
Just old fashion diffused 5mm LEDs.

The odd one out may be the high beam light.
If yours is yellow, then it is an LED.

If it is blue, then it will be a tiny clear bulb inside a blue light filter.

Modern LEDs tend to be "high brightness", but if you look for 5mm diffused LEDs, then you should be good to go.

But as said above, check the blue foil circuit board, and the wiring to the sender in the engine bay.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

AlexDal

Post by AlexDal »

Thanks for your reply - this is the bulb/filament that isnt working. In fact have tried the other bulbs in different places to see if they're ok and they work fine (they are all different colours) but the oil and ignition light (which are red) are kaput!Image

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

That sounds like a engine bay wiring issue.
Check the wires and connections in the junction box in the engine bay
Charge / Battery light is a blue wire.

Standard oil pressure switch is blue / black changing to brown.
Switch is under the left side of the engine above the push-rod tubes.

If nothing else in the dash is affected, we can rule out things like ignition live feed to the dash.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

AlexDal

Post by AlexDal »

Have ordered some light bulbs that you suggested from Amazon - thanks for pointing me in the right direction about those @Robsey.
Also thanks so much for the other information - will report back once the bulbs are here and if they are working or not and if it's a wiring issue. My OH wants to keep things as original as possible but realises that new led lighting is much better 🤷🏻‍♀️.

AlexDal

Post by AlexDal »

The new diffused led lights work fine in the van, a lot brighter than the originals - apart from the oil light! This was the one that didn't work before and thought it may have been the wee bulb. Wiring has been checked within the engine bay and all seems good there, any other clues why this is the only one not working?

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

The Oil Pressure Warning LED connects directly to the oil pressure switch on early vans (Pre 1986). With engine off, the oil pressure switch should be closed and the wire connected to it will be connected to chassis earth thus completing the circuit for the led to illuminate.

1. Check the wire that connects to to the oil pressure switch (located behind the push rod tubes) is not broken or come adrift and that the spade connector is in good condition. If ok then it’s time to check the oil pressure switch itself.

2. Remove the wire from the Oil Pressure Switch and, using a length of wire, connect one end to a good chassis earth point and the other to the wire that has been removed from the oil pressure switch. Switch the ignition on and see if the lamp illuminates. If you have a helper then hold the wire to chassis or the engine block and get them to turn on the ignition and watch the LED (make sure they understand not to start the engine while you are underneath holding a wire). If the led illuminates then the oil pressure switch most likely is faulty. If you have a multimeter you could just set it to read resistance (ohms) and place one probe on the Oil Pressure switch terminal and the other probe to chassis (engine/gearbox casing). The meter should indicate a zero ohms or very low resistance.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

AlexDal

Post by AlexDal »

Thanks for your reply @AngeloEvs and I have definitely come to the conclusion that it is a faulty Oil Pressure switch after doing a few electrical tests. I did replace this when I was refurbishing the engine last year but it's either faulty or the wrong one. The oil,pressure switch on my van is located on top of the engine beside the dizzy - not behind the pushrods. It's a 1982 Aircooled CU 2.0 petrol engine that I have, and just wondered what colour the oil pressure switch should be.

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Post by tobydog »

Knowledge is power
1970 CU

AlexDal

Post by AlexDal »

Thanks for that @tobydog. The one I have on it is a black one so it must be the wrong one - even though I always put all the details of the van in before ordering anything.🤷🏻‍♀️.
Appreciate your help and going to order the one you've suggested.

AlexDal

Post by AlexDal »

That was spot on @tobydog with the new switch you mentioned.   The Oil Pressure switch fitted, dash light coming on and going off when it should - thanks for your help.  Thanks for everyone's advice on here, much appreciated.