Alternator Voltage Regulator - for the win!

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Alternator Voltage Regulator - for the win!

Post by ELVIS »

Fitted a new voltage regulator today on my tdi. Paid the grand sum of £12.24 for a febi one. Was 14.5 volt one and not 14v.

Was so excited I didn’t  take before and after at the battery with multi meter. (Might refit old one and do it scientifically for more accuracy for comparison  :mrgreen:

Amazon USB/Volt meter that replaced fag lighter ( so voltage has to travel length of van and through fuse box and through 30yr old small gauge corroded cable)  has gone from 13.1v with engine running to 13.9v. 

I’ll call that a win. 

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Re: Alternator Voltage Regulator - for the win!

Post by Robsey »

I would call it a win too.

Quite a dramatic difference.
Do you plan to replace the tired old cables between the alternator and battery?
It is quite a big ask to replace the main cable all the way to the fusebox.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

Deffo. 

Have a huge spreadsheet on my phone I’m working through with every job (bumper to bumper - electrical and mechanical) 

As you know, last job was front end (sorry for all the Qs). Ended up completely making a new headlamp/indicator etc loom for front end. Cleaned heater matrix. New foam kit. New resistors. New fan. Chicken switch. Immobiliser. Insulated and sound deadening under dash. Erm. Probs other stuff too :mrgreen:

This week I am going to battery centre. New battery clamps. New lead from battery to starter (it’s a diesel) , new lead from alternator to battery. New lead from alternator to P1 terminal. Basically replace as much as I can with new and decent gauge. Ideally will run new to relay board from P1 sometime this year when I can use a ramp. 
  Have a new Tdi loom to replace the one on there that’s a bit rubbish. Completely making rear lighting loom from scratch also.

Made one for a mate previously. Fly lead is for trailer lights that can be unplugged and removed if needs be. 
ImageImageImage

ImageImage 

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

Just bought one recently as the brushes were worn in my original Bosch unit.
It seems like they are same as the Hüco made in Germany.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th