Wooden Rock and Roll bed

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Re: Wooden Rock and Roll bed

Post by RogerT »

I’m guessing you have a pretty meaty bolt (with a big washer on the back to spread the load) securing the bracket to the van, you want an equally strong arrangement securing the bracket to the seat.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

pleasestartnow
80-90 Mem No: 11015

Post by pleasestartnow »

RogerT wrote: 09 Jun 2023, 13:46 From your photo it looks like you’ve got the bracket looking like it wants to be screwed into the end of the OSB, and that just won’t work. OSB isn’t strong enough like that. If you’re stuck with those brackets, I’d be looking at a metal L shaped piece bolted to the bracket, using the long part of the L along the side of the OSB, to give more fixing points.

It kind of depends on whether you want to use the RnR as a seat with belts for transit, or just when stationary. If transit, it has to resist the forward force transmitted by the passengers bum in a crash. This is why seat base cushions have to be fixed somehow to the base of the seat, to prevent submarining. You would also need three point belts.

If not used for transit, it just has to resist it own weight in a crash, and even that can be quite a substantial force.

No it won't be used to transport people, it's only me and the girlfriend travel in it so the seat is only user when we are parked up. I have seat belts in it anyway as well. In the previous bed I had a leg that used drop down on one side and used an axel stand on the other side and that was a 3/4 bed.

I'm going to put some storage on the other side (red box in the picture) so that will support one third of the platform when in bed mode. You are spot on about those brackets screwing into the osb board, I grt what you mean about the metal bracket as well. Maybe I can just buy foldable legs?Image
Last edited by pleasestartnow on 09 Jun 2023, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D

pleasestartnow

Post by pleasestartnow »

RogerT wrote: 09 Jun 2023, 13:57 I’m guessing you have a pretty meaty bolt (with a big washer on the back to spread the load) securing the bracket to the van, you want an equally strong arrangement securing the bracket to the seat.

The RnR brackets themselves come with a 6mm hole for bolting to the van but I drilled it to fit an 8mm bolt. It's secured in the wheel arch then using only 8,10 and 12mm washers because the local hardware place didn't have bigger load spreading washers, but I'm sourcing them at thr moment and will change them when I get them.
1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D

pleasestartnow

Post by pleasestartnow »

No updates as i have been away two days but back at it again tomorrow.

Im beginning to doubt the use of 18mm OSB board for the actual bed components purely because of the amount of information out there where some folks say it's perfect and others say it is rubbish. Realistically i just need it to get me through the next few weeks and then in August i will be home and if i need to make changes i can...but obviously i would rather just do it right now.

I originally used this because the bed i pulled apart last year was made up using it and we used that bed for nearly 10 years and it only started to warp and sag in the last 3 or 4 and i can only imagine how long it was there before we bought the van. However, that bed was just lying on some 2x4s i put under it as its support and was a head wreck to setup every night and take apart. Now my research is saying ply is stronger and lighter but i always found ply to bend and warp and snap easy compared to the solidness of OSB?

I am happy enough to use OSB for the storage box that the seat sits on when in the seat position as it feels solid and as i said in an earlier post the seat will only be used when we are parked up. But before i go and put foam on the seat and backrest i'm wondering should i change those two components from OSB to something else, and if so what? Similarly, i must build the plinth in the back to support the backrest, what would be the recommended material for that? 

Still thinking of what to use to support the seat panel when in the bed position, there will be a storage cupboard under one side that will support about 50cm of the seat panel. Any suggestions?

1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

The genuine vw rnr bed used in the first generation multivans used birch ply for the seat and back, its about 22 mm and has additional supports under the seat base made from hardwood so you dont need the supports bolted to the van and have full width storage under the unit.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

pleasestartnow

Post by pleasestartnow »

Thanks Multisi, I looked earlier and the old seat panel was ply and it was just the backrest was osb. Anyway, I am just going to press ahead with osb.

Made a storage box that acts as a support for the bed and a bed support that is Z shape and folds down to a 60cm long panel that can be stored in the rear section. The Z support will also be used as a simple outside table when we need it. Bed feels solid out now with these two supports.

ImageImage
1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

The Westy ply one is on page 2 of this thread, if it helps.

viewtopic.php?t=170565&hilit=1984+caravelle&start=15
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

pleasestartnow

Post by pleasestartnow »

Cheers DoubleO, that is some job uou have done there like. Amazing!
1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D

pleasestartnow

Post by pleasestartnow »

Seat all foamed up and covered. Got a new unit as well and put on cut offs from the countertop at home.
It doesn't look to inviting due to the poor lighting but it looks grand and feels solid.

3 inch foam and reused the fabric I put on last year. I must just cover the rear plinth now next but more or less done.

ImageImageImage
1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D