Tuning a dg is it possible??

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

hugomonkey
80-90 Mem No: 10485

Tuning a dg is it possible??

Post by hugomonkey »

Looking to get as much as possible out of my DG engine, so what are my options and what actually is worthwhile??
👊
Regards Jason
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHp3lQKS6lo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Tuning a dg is it possible??

Post by silverbullet »

A DG is already giving all it can. Its a short stroke motor with a low compression ratio, which isnt a good place to start!
I understand that they can reapond well to a set of 1.25 rockers, but thats about it.
You could put efi on it, the MV Digifant system would probably be a better match than the DJ Digijet as the MV is also low compression but both have a wide tolerance band for fuelling and you aren't asking for more than they would deliver to a 2.1
A speedshop exhaust might find you a few ponies but not many.

hugomonkey
80-90 Mem No: 10485

Post by hugomonkey »

Don’t need much more just a bit of extra torque for playing in the mud
Regards Jason
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHp3lQKS6lo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

I'm running Marco Mansi 1:35 rockers, a Speedshop exhaust and Weber carb.  The engine was subject to a top end rebuild in 2018 and was pushing out 85bhp on the last rolling road in 2021 - details can be seen here:

viewtopic.php?t=173273

She is still pulling strong and running well (touches wood) although i do drive like Miss Daisy.  Regular 6 month oil and filter changes without fail.

You could go for twin carbs or as Silverbullet has said, go for EFi but this is costly and to be honest, if you're out and about in the mud it might be worth looking at a 2.1 for that extra oomph.

'86 DG, Weber Carb

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

More bhp does of course mean more torque at higher rpm, that how the maths works!

https://www.howacarworks.com/technology ... -explained

So you could have a revvier DG that makes a bit more torque at higher revs, but its never going to be a DJ. You could also lose some of what little low rpm torque it does make.

A healthy well built DG will rev to over 7k without damage (done that with a frozen throttle cable) but it doesn't make for relaxed motoring!

I have a small supercharger and some chargecoolers under the bench if you are feeling creative?