2.1DJ to EJ251 Conversion - On the the road!

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ManicGTI
80-90 Mem No: 17408

2.1DJ to EJ251 Conversion - On the the road!

Post by ManicGTI »

I know this is nothing ground breaking these days, but thought I'd slap a few pics up in case anyone's interested...

Engine is a EJ251 from a ~60k miles 2001 Legacy GX Auto.  For expediency Nick at Subaru Surgery broke the car for me, and shipped me engine with modified loom, i've used a mixture of conversion parts from Subaru Surgery and RJES for the install.  Exhaust is based on shortened and cut down OEM Subaru headers to maximise ground clearance, 45mm mild steel pipework and the Stainless silencer I already had on the DJ. 

While I was there I put an Outback 130A Alternator on there as next side project will be getting solar on the turret top and leisure battery in.  I've retained the Subaru Cruise control system but haven't installed actuator yet.

Obviously there's still some tidying/checking still do, but took it for first spin today and super happy!

Mini-Moon caps missing from this side, 16in Merc Steels on the way anyway to give me room for brake upgrades... 8)

The original 2.1 DJ for sale with anything I didn't retain for the conversion if anyone's interested, I'll put together an ad when I get a mo.

Thanks for reading this far!
1990 - EJ251 - 5sp AAP - 'Weekender'

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Re: 2.1DJ to EJ251 Conversion - On the the road!

Post by Smiffo »

Looking tidy  :ok
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

LUBO
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by LUBO »

Conversion looks tidy. I'm considering getting back into T25's and would be converting to subaru power. What was involved to fit the auto engine? Have seen write ups a wee bit more involved. I see Legacy's are a popular donor but is the engine in the foresters similar?

cheers Kev
Why pay someone else to fix it for you when you can waste 2 months doing it yourself!

ManicGTI

Post by ManicGTI »

LUBO wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 15:18 Conversion looks tidy. I'm considering getting back into T25's and would be converting to subaru power. What was involved to fit the auto engine? Have seen write ups a wee bit more involved. I see Legacy's are a popular donor but is the engine in the foresters similar?

cheers Kev

Argh, I wrote out a longer response to this and lost it.  Short version is: don't sweat it and pick the best doner engine/management spec for your van/needs.  I guess an auto engine is less likely to have been abused.

Assuming you're putting into a Manual T3 the differences are insignificant (I have no clue about Auto T3s).  The engines themselves are no different from manuals aside from a few manual parts needed (Flywheel/Clutch/bolts, cambelt guide, Starter).  There are some loom differences - but if using an established loom conversion company it's not an issue (Ie RJES/Subaru Surgery/Other?).

Yup, loads of Foresters in the UK (and now lots of rusty ones ripe for breaking) as a source for the EJ20 which is pretty similar.  Luck of the draw what comes up for the right price really.

Avoid Canbus based cars unless you've planned and priced in how you're going to sort out the loom (i.e. with Canbus emulators or ditching for aftermarket management).  Transition year is model dependant, AGT Engineering  (Australia) has loads of info: https://www.agtengineering.com.au/wiring-looms

If doing the conversion yourself I'd recommend Subaru Surgery.  Super helpful - if you find a doner yourself he'll break it for you.

rollercoaster
80-90 Mem No: 6231

Post by rollercoaster »

Is there a good and reasonably economical shortened sump solution these days?
Live as if you were to die tomorrow
Learn as if you were to live forever

Syncro Danbury 2.0 petrol AGG

ManicGTI

Post by ManicGTI »

I'm using the Subaru Surgery shortened sump and very happy with it.  I'll see if I can dig out a pic of the underbody clearance, it sits ~5-10mm below the RJES engine bar.

It's not 'cheap' but looking at my ground clearance (my van is lowered) was a necessity.   The flat sump also made installation so much easier, was able to get it on balanced on the jack with just a non-mechanical neighbour helping.

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

I think mines a TSR one. Aluminium. Looks nice and has worked fine, but has developed a hairline crack in a weld somewhere so will need a repair. I'd probably go with a steel option if doing it again
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed