1986 Holdsworth Villa3 poptop roof movement

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ctjfb
80-90 Mem No: 0

1986 Holdsworth Villa3 poptop roof movement

Post by ctjfb »

I happened to notice yesterday that there is a slight movement of the whole pop-top roof assembly against the van roof.

I was driving down the road and noticed a bit of thin black trim flapping outside the side window. I opened the window and put my hand up towards the roof to try to re-seat the trim and whilst holding the roof around the gutter I could feel the roof assembly moving slightly against the van gutter.

When I stopped I checked and if I squeeze the lip of the roof and the van gutter hand with my fingers I can feel movement as if a rubber seal is compressing slightly - it's only a few mm at most ...

So - the big question is :-). Is this normal? Or should I be investigating further ?

Thanks for any insights!

Chris

toolsntat
80-90 Mem No: 644

Re: 1986 Holdsworth Villa3 poptop roof movement

Post by toolsntat »

Maybe the bonding is coming away or worse case scenario rust is eating away the roof behind the poptop.
I'd definitely be checking.
Pop out the interior light over the driver door and inspect the cavity.
Cheers, Andy
------------------
"GOT ANY OLD TOOLS??"
"WANT ANY OLD TOOLS??"
WANTED old treadle lathe please......
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1980 2.0L Aircooled Blue Hightop Holdsworth Villa Camper
2002 White 2.0l 280 td swb hightop Tranzit works van

ctjfb
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: 1986 Holdsworth Villa3 poptop roof movement

Post by ctjfb »

So -- Quick report back on this one ...

It turned out that the edge of the roof above the windscreen had become detached .. The adhesive/sealant had simply peeled off the fibreglass top whilst remaining firmly bonded to the vehicle roof.

Obviously wind was getting under this edge as I was driving and lifting up the front of the pop-top slightly, although the main body of the top remained firmly fixed ..

Quick trim of the remaining adhesive, clean with brake cleaner, and copious application of Tiger Seal - sorted :-)

Chris.