Reverse lights not working ! Help!!

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Re: Reverse lights not working ! Help!!

Post by Robsey »

I can confirm that reverse lights are not an mot item.

So nothing to worry about there.
But if it was me - my personal o.c.d. would want them working if they were fitted originally.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

herman_t25
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by herman_t25 »

Hi all, so update 😂 and another problem and as it’s electrical I’ll try use the same thread!

we went to the beach for the evening. When leaving couldn’t get it to start. I carry a jump pack so jumped and off we went. Struggled for a few miles before dying. Jumped a couple of times before the battery was completely flat.

Got rescued with a spare battery and got home and drove no issues all the way back. Looks like the alternator isn’t charging the battery very well or at all. Recently fitted a new alternator so can’t be that. The battery is less than 6 months old but We’ve had this issue with the old battery too.

I fully charged the battery Wednesday night. As if using the lights was enough tonight to zap it!

Where can I start with finding the fault ?

Robsey

Post by Robsey »

Okey doke...

We need to check the voltage across the battery terminals at rest and with the van running.

Typical voltage should be betwern 12 and approx 12.7 with the engine off.

With the engine running you would hope for at least 13.5 volts... closer to 14 or 14.5 would be ideal.

If the alternator isn't kicking out more than 13.5 volts, then you need to check and clean all connections to the alternator.

Fat reds to junction box, to starter and to the battery.

All should have clean copper wires - not tarnished or bleached pink looking wires.

All should have clean connectors, securely fastened in place - on their studs etc..

Do not forget the ground tag from the alternator to the engine... and from the engine to the chassis.
And assuming the van starts okay, we would hope that the gearbox earth strap is also clean and securely fitted.

I presume the thin blue wire is also clean and securely attached at the alternator and at the junction box.

If yours was an older alternator, I would have suggested a new voltage regulator on the alternator.
Brickwerks do one rated at 14.5 volts output.

But - being quite a new alternator, the regulator should be tip top.

herman_t25

Post by herman_t25 »

Robsey wrote: 13 May 2023, 00:17 Okey doke...

We need to check the voltage across the battery terminals at rest and with the van running.

Typical voltage should be betwern 12 and approx 12.7 with the engine off.

With the engine running you would hope for at least 13.5 volts... closer to 14 or 14.5 would be ideal.

If the alternator isn't kicking out more than 13.5 volts, then you need to check and clean all connections to the alternator.

Fat reds to junction box, to starter and to the battery.

All should have clean copper wires - not tarnished or bleached pink looking wires.

All should have clean connectors, securely fastened in place - on their studs etc..

Do not forget the ground tag from the alternator to the engine... and from the engine to the chassis.
And assuming the van starts okay, we would hope that the gearbox earth strap is also clean and securely fitted.

I presume the thin blue wire is also clean and securely attached at the alternator and at the junction box.

If yours was an older alternator, I would have suggested a new voltage regulator on the alternator.
Brickwerks do one rated at 14.5 volts output.

But - being quite a new alternator, the regulator should be tip top.

Thanks Robsey. Charged the battery last night. 12.7v before turning the engine on. 12.3v when running. So no power to the battery. I’ll start making my way through all the connections see what I find 👍

herman_t25

Post by herman_t25 »

ImageImageImage

Thank god this thing broke down when it did! Found this tucked in the back of the junction box wrapped in half a roll of black tape :shock:

Robsey

Post by Robsey »

The twin reds from the alternator where they meet, looks quite burnt.

That infers a lot of resistance... resistance = a huge voltage drop.

If you have the means, I would completely replace the wires with new of at least the same size if not the next size up.

And I would put that bolt somewhere safe, so that it cannot short or rub against anything.

Pvc tape is good where you have no alternative, but if you can put a heat-shrink tubing on, then that is better.

I am a bit o.c.d; so I tend to put two layers of tubing on.
I trust my own work, but I want to do jobs once, and hopefully never have to worry about them again.
I keep my cars for a very long time. So chances are, I will still have the same vehicle 20 years later.

herman_t25

Post by herman_t25 »

Cheers, I’ll spend the time and re wire the lot. Looks like it’s damaged it at the back of the plug on the alternator too so best to be safe.

I’ll definitely heat shrink etc. I’m fairly confident when it comes to wiring so should be okay

Cheers for your help 👍

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

You were lucky there.  :shock: :shock:
I would check as much wiring as you can if that is the standard of some previous owner's work. Those wires look as though they were just twisted together. ( I found work like that on my Merc bus, wires just twisted together and taped up - the guy was a marine engineer! )
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

herman_t25

Post by herman_t25 »

Oldiebut goodie wrote: 13 May 2023, 14:27 You were lucky there.  :shock: :shock:
I would check as much wiring as you can if that is the standard of some previous owner's work. Those wires look as though they were just twisted together. ( I found work like that on my Merc bus, wires just twisted together and taped up - the guy was a marine engineer! )

My thoughts exactly! How do people expect these vans to keep running if this is the level of work they do! It’s been causing us pain since we owned it some hopefully it’ll be a big milestone when fixed 👍