Passat 1.9tdi conversion

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Smudgersmith
80-90 Mem No: 17592

Passat 1.9tdi conversion

Post by Smudgersmith »

Hi all i currently get 20 mpg from my 2.0 cu Aircooled engine.Wich is normal as far as i know.
But realy want to do some longer trips so with fuel cost i was thinking of buying a passat and robbing the engine from that.
Not sure if its possible but could i use my cu gearbox
Or do i need to do the ultimate engineering upside down passat box?
Orange T25 deven poptop 1982 tax and mot exempt luckily 2.0 cu engine 4 speed gearbox no heating

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Re: Passat 1.9tdi conversion

Post by shepster »

I know a lad who recently fitted a Golf Gti engine to an Aircooled van and he's really happy with it, uses the standard gearbox.

Why Diesel specifically?
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

Smudgersmith

Post by Smudgersmith »

The reason for diesel is fuel economy
Id be doing the conversion myself and the passat engine is far more modern design than a jx or the mk3 gti engine
Im not bothered about power as im quite happy to plod along enjoying the views but if i decide to go to south of france or even Scotland it would be nice to not have to stop every 250 miles to fill up 😁
Orange T25 deven poptop 1982 tax and mot exempt luckily 2.0 cu engine 4 speed gearbox no heating

Smudgersmith

Post by Smudgersmith »

If i was to go with the gti engine what parts would i need to collect apart from
Engine ,diesel bellhousing ,diesel sump,
Exhaust,diesel engine mounts,radiator, heater ,heater controls waterpipes,?

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

Wiring loom from 'Elvis' on here, as I'm sure you're aware the bottom half is basically the same.

As for heating, I know 2 people who have gone waterercooled from air-cooled (Gti and a Subaru) but neither managed to plumb the original heating system in.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

There was a chap on here a couple of years ago with account 'DominoSteve' ( or something similar. )
He converted an air cooled van to Subaru Turbo.

I honestly can't recall whether he did the heating too, but I do recall the conversion to water cooled being quite a bit of work. 
He kept the VW gearbox though I think.

There is a part of me that thinks maybe just sell yours and purchase a converted van, although having spent a small fortune on mine and not following that advice myself, it's hard for me to stand behind it with conviction  :lol: :lol:
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

Smudgersmith

Post by Smudgersmith »

If mine wasnt in such good condition body and iterior wise i probably would just get 1 which was already done my engine is only 3 years old and only done 10000 miles max so should be able to sell that for nearly what id pay for the conversion as for heater thinking diesel heater that goes to the dash vent not to sure though yet leaning towards a gti engine at the minute ease of fittment realy