Fuel tank unit.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

golfingtam
80-90 Mem No: 6415

Fuel tank unit.

Post by golfingtam »

Is it possible to remove the tank unit without dropping the fuel tank on my 1600 petrol camper van?
(It is not reading properly. I fitted a new tank and unit.)

Rosie n' Jim
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Fuel tank unit.

Post by Rosie n' Jim »

I can't imagine it's possible, but it's not such a difficult job to drop the tank. You may be able to reach the sender buy only lowering the back of the tank, leaving pipes in place, except for filler tube.
If you do drop the tank, empty it fully first, as even a gallon of fuel sloshing from side to side gives the tank a mind of its own! And take the opportunity to clean and paint the top of the tank, it's sure to be rusty in the certral channel.

1982 Holdsworth poptop. 2L CU Aircooled.
1982 Danbury tintop Caravelle. 2L CU Aircooled.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Pretty sure there was a change either to the sender or the fuel gauge, possibly both in the early 1980's.  The Bentley manual covers gauge calibration checks and the test equipment uses a different value resistance for the early vans - it may be you have a late sender with an early gauge. 

a) Did you keep the old tank or the original sender?

b) Is the fuel guage reading higher or lower than you would expect or is it another issue?

I will check the Bentley Manual but I have noticed (when repairing early dash types) that the fuel gauge reads differently on early v late vans using the standard 100ohm test resistance used for calibrating later vans.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

No, you can't get to the sender without dropping the tank. Two types of senders fitted early and late. Same fitting, just different resistances. Fitting a late sender to an early vehicle, the fuel will run out, showing between 1/4 tank and reserve.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow