Cab and Sliding Door Closures

Technical questions & answers only, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
Technical questions & answers only. Please try to search the Wiki or Tech Archive first.
Lewis and Bee
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Cab and Sliding Door Closures

Post by Lewis and Bee »

So the lower B-post was repaired and rebuilt, but not up as high as the strike plate.  Front arch replaced (also just discovered a gaping hole behind this where it should meet the front jacking point...) Cab step and lower A-post, again not as high as the hinges though.  Repairs made to the bottom of the cab door and new seal fitted.

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

I’d put some of the blame on dodgy repair of the B pillar. The outer B pillar (lower section) forms the skin inside the front arch, where you have a hole going through to the front JP, as does the front half of the chassis outrigger.

Show us the hole, so we can see what you’re dealing with. Do you have any progress photos of the repairs as they were done?
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

Lewis and Bee

Post by Lewis and Bee »

Thanks for your reply.  Can you confirm what hole I'm looking for sorry? What is the Front JP?
I have photos, yes, I can post what I have another time when I have access to my Hard drive

Lewis and Bee

Post by Lewis and Bee »

Apologies - JP = Jacking point! got it :-) Here are photos of both sides.  Both B-post were rebuilt, but its only the OS door (which was also repaired) which is not closing correctly

ImageImageImage

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

I would say the door repair panel is the issue, B pillar looks fine to me but the sliding door looks slightly the wrong shape,

The cab door looks a little low at the front , I
Would try repositioning it on the original marks where the bolts were and see if it’s better

Did you supply the repair panels

Lewis and Bee

Post by Lewis and Bee »

Its quite a relief to hear the B-pillar looks fine.
Yes, I'm not very happy with the shape of either sliding door lower panels.. But the bodyshop say its fine and correct, and short of paying them to do it again there isn't much to be done about it I guess? :-(
The front door can be raised though you think? It seems to me if I went back to the original marks it would lower it... But i guess I can tinker around with this and see.
The repair panels were sourced by the bodyshop.  They get all their stuff from Schofields I believe.  Although I did supply the front door seal

Lewis and Bee

Post by Lewis and Bee »

Meanwhile, here are some progress photos of their repairs

ImageImageImage

And the hole I discovered a couple of days ago, from underneath the Van

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

Not sure what I’m looking at, and in which direction, for that photo of the hole. Can you elaborate?

Lewis and Bee

Post by Lewis and Bee »

Hi RogerT,

So that is a photo taken from lay on my back under the Van, looking up at the underside of the front jacking point.  The black fabric is my jeacket sleeve, trying to keep the bright sky from bleaching the photograph.  The hole is where the front wing/B-post repair panel meets the floor section/chassis outrigger..

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Lewis and Bee wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 12:28 Hi RogerT,

So that is a photo taken from lay on my back under the Van, looking up at the underside of the front jacking point.  The black fabric is my jeacket sleeve, trying to keep the bright sky from bleaching the photograph.  The hole is where the front wing/B-post repair panel meets the floor section/chassis outrigger..

That’s easy to sort either a small plate or a little sealer

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

Aye a little sealer would be good, welding a wee plate in would be better. No hole in the first place, best! There should be a rubber grommet on the inside of the b pillar to add a spray of waxoyl/your choice of rust preventer after the hole is sealed

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

Itsblue

Post by Itsblue »

I have a similar issue with both my doors after fitting new seals , I’m thinking it’s the routing of the seal over the hodge bolts making it difficult to shut have to really slam them ,

Can someone upload a pic of the route of the seal on the hinge side of the thier easy to close door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aircooled 2.0cu 1982 Danbury Autoroof , not so Auto anymore 

Lewis and Bee

Post by Lewis and Bee »

RogerT wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 17:47 Aye a little sealer would be good, welding a wee plate in would be better. No hole in the first place, best! There should be a rubber grommet on the inside of the b pillar to add a spray of waxoyl/your choice of rust preventer after the hole is sealed
Hi Roger,
So I have been advised I could leave the holes, as it will allow water to escape.  I have also used them to spray the cavity wax up into.
I don't quite understand the photo of the bung - is this the inside of the post before the front wing is welded on? How would you get to it? If so, the repairs I had done look very different to how it should!

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

Bung on the inside of the van, on the face of the B pillar, probably below the inertia reel part of the seat belt. Strictly speaking there should also probably be a bung on the outer face of the B pillar right at the bottom too. My outer B has a neat hole there, a couple of cm in diameter.