Seem Rash (Camper & Bus)

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Seem Rash (Camper & Bus)

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Each third generation Transporter received between 12 to 15lb (5.5 to 7kg) of paint during a task that took up to five hours. It was a lot more than a simple dip in a paint bath. Zinc phosphate was initially applied to all surfaces inside and out, to help prevent rust. Next came a zinc powder-based filler for more exposed body areas, to provide extra protection. The entire vehicle was then treated to an electrophoresis priming process; being electrically charged before dunked in the primer solution bath with an opposite electrical charge. The electrical reaction had the effect of increasing the corrosion protection. Then came a filler coat to give a smooth finish for the top coats of paint to be hand-sprayed over. After being oven-baked for goodness – sorry, durability – wax preservative went on the T3’s nether regions, with polymer undercoating for the wheels.
While a huge amount of care and attention was taken at the factory, there was a fatal flaw with using filler on the T3’s body seams. As the vehicles aged, the filler tended to shrink and crack, which allowed water into the crevices, leading to inevitable rampaging seam rash. Sometimes, the best-laid plans…
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

DanGleebles
80-90 Mem No: 16891

Re: Seem Rash (Camper & Bus)

Post by DanGleebles »

I find Sudocrem is better on the hole, sorry whole. But seriously all things considered I think they've lasted a lot longer than other makes. You don't see many 1980's Fiat's still on the road do you?
'Ruby' 1989 Burgundy and Cream EMC Conversion VW t25 1.6td

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Post by mioba »

Exactly as above, after at least 20 years there are not many specific cars models still on road like the t25
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

I am sure that I read somewhere that VW didn't really get the rust protection thing 'right' until towards the end of T3 production.. late 88 and 89.

As you suggest - any 40 year old vehicle will be a pile of rust by now.

Chemicals, materials and production methods have all improved since then.

Unless you buy a Ford Transit or a Mercedes Sprinter for that matter - they still churn out quick-rusting work horses.
Not sure what the VW Crafter is like - hopefully they only share body panels, and not production plants with the Sprinter.

As for 20+ years cars.
Both of my cars are old.
29 1/2 year-old Cavalier Mk3 and a
19 year old Vectra-C.

1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

Splurt
80-90 Mem No: 9694

Post by Splurt »

Xenon headlights on a cavalier??? Is that your own mod or original? Bound to be ultra rare if original. What are they like for getting parts? Not many of them left now.

Even though we pay the vw scene tax, it's great that most parts are easily obtained. Although it's getting tougher and the prices are getting high for some things T3
Ryan

89 - 1.8T AGU - SA Syncro - Hightop Camper 

'I love my brick'
Fr Jack Hackett

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

Ah - they are not Xenon's.
Totally illegal on this model of car, sadly.

They are standard H1 halogen bulbs with standard 286 (1.2 watt dash bulbs) in the halos.

The early Cavaliers had "Morettes", but being a later model, mine has "Halos" - a common aftermarket offering from various German suppliers.
FK were the premium make - sadly, mine are lesser quality Depo units. The plastic casings are very brittle.

Parts wise... yes they are getting much harder to find, although Febi do most of the bushes, bearings and so on.
It is the hydraulic stuff, like power steering pipes that are impossible to obtain.
Don't worry - Vauxhall / Opel / GM carry a similar level of 'scene tax' on their parts. Everything is silly expensive now.

Unfortunately, I still remember late 80s parts prices.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Post by mioba »

Splurt wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 20:42 Xenon headlights on a cavalier??? Is that your own mod or original? Bound to be ultra rare if original. What are they like for getting parts? Not many of them left now.

Even though we pay the vw scene tax, it's great that most parts are easily obtained. Although it's getting tougher and the prices are getting high for some things T3

They cant ve xenons as no headlamp wash!
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love