Propane Portable Gas Heater

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Propane Portable Gas Heater

Post by maxstu »

We have a couple of nearly full 47k propane bottles surplus to use in our stableyard.
The thought occurred to me to take them both home and connect them to a portable gas heater in our conservatory. The bottles will stay outside.

Here's the problem. Our conservatory heater is 28-30 mbar butane ONLY. Unlikely to be safe on 37 mbar propane. So how comes in our campers' a fridge, or propex or a stove will accept either?

Ive converted kitchen cookers' from natural gas to propane before using different jets.

Can l convert the portable gas heater to propane? Or will using an adjustable regulator solve the problem ...the type used on roofing torch equipment.....to reduce the pressure to 28-30mbar.

Regards
Stuart
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Propane Portable Gas Heater

Post by Mocki »

To be honest , 7mb isnt much…. If you connect it up and the flame isnt roaring and jumping an inch up from the base i would use it if it was mine
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Mocki wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 16:43 To be honest , 7mb isnt much…. If you connect it up and the flame isnt roaring and jumping an inch up from the base i would use it if it was mine

Alright, Steve :ok Looking forward to T3Busmeet in July?

I did test it on Propane. The 47k bottle outside about 6 metres away. I fed new rubber 8mm ID gas pipe through an external wall air vent.
But the pilot flame was half it's regular size and the panels barely produced any heat compared to Butane? What gives? Perhaps l need to run gas through 6mm copper to improve pressure or flow?

MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

I tried restricting gas flow at source (bottle) by closing valve by about 20%. No success.
The pilot light is very weak and heat panel barely turns orange. Hardly any heat at all.
It cant be the distance (6m) from bottle to fire?
Heeelp! :D
MaxStu